• What is self esteem?
• Do you think it’s important to have? Why?
• Self esteem is to have conﬁdence in
yourself. It is very centered on you.
• Is that a good thing?
• What is self respect then?
• What is the difference between
self esteem and self respect?
• Esteem is the power that drives, respect is
what discerns how that power is used.
• Respect yourself and your body.
• Your body is the temple of God take care of it!
• Genesis 1:26-27
• Then God said, “Let us make man in our
image, in our likeness, and let them rule over
the ﬁsh of the sea and the birds of the air,
over the livestock, over all the earth, and
over all the creatures that move along the
ground.” So God created man in his own
image, in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.
I Look Like God?
• Don’t be ﬂattered, most of the time in the
Bible are afraid to see God’s face, or drop
dead when they do! Ouch!
• No seriously though, he has elevated us to be
like him with the authority to get things done.
• You have a relationship with the Living God!
From Rags to Riches
• You need to accept the fact that God did not
make you in the image of an animal.
• Don’t settle for merely living out your ﬂeshly
desires, scrounging for food, etc.
• He has made you in the image of himself!
• You are not peasants, but royalty!
• You have the capacity to have a relationship with
the divine. Put on your robe!
• Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or
nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: “For
your sake we face death all day long; we are considered
as sheep to be slaughtered.”
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors
through him who loved us. For I am convinced that
neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither
the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither
height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be
able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ
Jesus our Lord.
God’s Love for Us
• God loves us. Plain and simple.
• There is nothing we can do that can stop
Him from loving us.
• He is jealous for us.
• We can't run from this kind of love.
• You need toyou areto terms with God’s
the object of
• See this book? The Bible?
• It’s a love letter written to you!
• To love yourself, to forgiveneed to be willing
accept God’s love you
yourself and to
open yourself up to that forgiveness.
• Phillipians 4:12-13
• I know what it is to be in need and,
• I know what it is to have plenty.
• I have learned the secret of being content in
any and every situation, whether well fed or
hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
• I can do everything through him
who gives me strength.
of a good thing...
• Too much self esteem is bad.
• We get big egos and need to get
“knocked down a few pegs”.
• This is bad.
• We need to keep our esteem in check.
• It can be easily used for good or evil.
• Slow and steady wins the race
• It is better to have a constant strength
than a short, fragile one.
• Proverbs 11:2
• When pride comes, then comes disgrace,
but with humility comes wisdom.
• If you have any encouragement from being united
• if any comfort from his love,
• if any fellowship with the Spirit,
• if any tenderness and compassion,
• then make my joy complete by being like-minded,
having the same love, being one in spirit and
• Do nothing out of selﬁsh ambition or vain conceit,
• but in humility consider others better than
• Each of you should look not only to your own
• but also to the interests of others.
Charge your Batteries
• Though it is good have self esteem, we need
to be careful not live solely for our self!
• When you talk on your cellphone for a week
straight without plugging it in, what happens?
• The battery dies.
• Cars can run out of gas. Then what?
• They are worthless!
Keep Plugging In
• Keep yourself self respect, image,
and strength in God.
• You got to plug in once in a while!
• If you didn't eat you would... die.
• Plug into God, the power plant...
• Make sure you are always near an outlet!
Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
• Bread of Life - John 6:35
• Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life.
He who comes to me will never go hungry,
and he who believes in me will never be
• I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in
me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me
you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me,
he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers;
such branches are picked up, thrown into the ﬁre and
burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in
you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.
• This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much
fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
• Spread that fruit around!
• Peanut Butter is not a parable in the Bible.
• It provides sustenance.
• It counters the sweet jelly? Why?
• It’s salty.
• Makes it yummy, you to crave for more.
• Without What's the perfectjust empty
it the sandwich is
• Colossians 4:5-6
• Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders;
• make the most of every opportunity.
• Let your conversation be always full of grace,
seasoned with salt, so that you may
know how to answer everyone.
• Peanut butter is that salty sustenance that
keeps others coming back for more
Make a Sandwich
• Peanut butter - You have sustenance
• Jelly - Bear the fruit through your actions
performed through faith
• Bread - Jesus holds the two together!
• Eat - Share with others, eat it too!