What is the word?
• John 1:1
In the beginning was the word of God...
• The word of God, isn’t that the Bible?
• How do you listen to your Bible?
• Listening is hearing & comprehending
• Allowing Gods word to react with you...
If a tree falls in the forest...
• If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is
around to listen, does it make a sound?
• If a Bible sits over there, and is not read
or talked about, does it change the world?
• God’s word reacts with creation to create
• God’s word needs to react with you!
• We are called to be the hands of God
Hearing and Listening
• How do you listen to the word of God?
• What or who should we be listening to?
• James 1:19 says from others
Take note of this: Everyone should be quick
to listen, slow to speak and slow to become
angry, for man's anger does not bring about
the righteous life that God desires.
• You need to read, think, talk & encourage!
How do we deceive ourselves?
• You may eat because you are depressed
• You may buy things to make life easier
• You may drink to forget your problems
• You may smoke to ﬁt in with friends
• You may get physically involved for love
• Do these do what they claim? No!
Don’t listen to these lies!
• Quote: The deﬁnition of insanity is
doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results.
• Who said that?
• Benjamin Franklin
• Time is short, don’t waste it!
Do what it says!
• So, what does the Bible have to say?
• How does it say it? How can we listen?
• How do we do what it says?
• This calls for a reﬂective illustration!
Mirror, mirror on the wall...
• James 1:23-24
Anyone who listens to the word but
does not do what it says is like a man
who looks at his face in a mirror and,
after looking at himself, goes away and
immediately forgets what he looks like.
• Activity Time!
Draw from your experiences
• How much time do you spend
with God every week? 3 hours?
• 16 hours awake for 7 days = 112 hours
• Thats 2.5% of your life on average!
• Draw yourself in two minutes
• After looking at yourself for 3 seconds
How does your picture look?
• How did you do?
• Turn in your paper
• Shufﬂe and draw from the pile
• Now try to ﬁgure out who that is
• How can people get a clear picture of
God in us if we are a poor reﬂection?
So what’s the secret?
• Keep looking! Keep drawing!
• James 1:25
But the man who looks intently into
the perfect law that gives freedom, and
continues to do this, not forgetting
what he has heard, but doing it
— he will be blessed in what he does.
• Remember, you are God’s hands here!
Give ‘em something to listen to
• 1 Timothy 4:12-13
• Don't let anyone look down on you
because you are young, but set an
example for the believers in speech, in
life, in love, in faith and in purity.
• Until I come, devote yourself to the
public reading of Scripture, to
preaching and to teaching.
Now, make em’ listen
• Are you young?
• Do you want respect?
• Respect is not passive, you need to do it!
• What are the things you need to do?
• How can you apply these in your life?