What Does It Mean
To Believe In Jesus?
• Is it that he existed?
• Is it that he was a man?
• Is it that he is God?
• Is it that he was a good teacher?
• Is it that he died for our sins?
• Is it that he was raised from the dead?
Then and Now
• Retrospect is 20/20
• We are reading this verse 2000 years later
• We know the rest of the story
• We assume we know what he meant
• We color the story because we live today
• What did he mean in context to then?
The Story: Nicodemus
• Jesus was chatting with Nicodemus
• He was a Pharisee
• He was a staunch believer
• He was involved in church
• He was involved in government
• He was beginning to believe in Jesus
Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus,
a member of the Jewish ruling council.
“Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God.
For no one could perform the miraculous signs
you are doing if God were not with him.”
The Story: Jesus
• Jesus had just started his ministry
• Jesus was not yet revealed as God to people
• Jesus was known for performing many miracles
• Jesus began to have people believe in his name
• Jesus was beginning to make some enemies
This, the ﬁrst of his miraculous signs,
Jesus performed in Cana of Galilee.
He thus revealed his glory,
and his disciples put their faith in him.
Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast,
many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing
and believed in his name.
In reply Jesus declared,
“I tell you the truth, no one can see the
kingdom of God unless he is born again.”
“How can a man be born when he is old?”
“Surely he cannot enter a second time
into his mother's womb to be born!”
Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the
kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.
Flesh gives birth to ﬂesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.
You should not be surprised at my saying,
“You must be born again.”
“The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound,
but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going.
So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
A Debate In The Night
• Jesus responds to Nicodemus’ statement
that he is from God
• Jesus explains about being born again
• Nicodemus doesn’t really understand
• Jesus explains things again
• Nicodemus still doesn’t understand
• Why doesn’t Nicodemus “Get It?”
“You are Israel's teacher,” said Jesus,
“and do you not understand these things?
I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know,
and we testify to what we have seen,
but still you people do not accept our testimony.
I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe;
how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?
No one has ever gone into heaven except
the one who came from heaven — the Son of Man.