The Christmas Tree
Finding Jesus at the Right Time of Year
• Put the tree up
(some assembly required)
• Put some lights up
• Put ribbon on, candy canes, garland...
• Put the angel on the tree
(tall person required)
• Who has a Christmas Tree?
• The christmas tree really is
something that marks the season.
• What are some of your thoughts about
Christmas trees and stuff like that?
• Is the Christmas tree a symbol of Christian beliefs?
• Believe it or not, the Christmas tree
• It was a ritual of greeks and romans to
adorn their homes with evergreen branches
• The evergreen tree was a symbol of
eternal life because it never dies in the winter
• It wasn’t until the 1500’s that the
Christmas tree was used in Christian symbolism
• It wasn’t until the late 1800’s that the
Christmas tree was established in America.
Why so we put one up?
• In Northern Europe of gets cold,
and winter is a time death.
• No crops, no animals
• No leaves on the trees.
• It was a tough time.
• The evergreenthese old religions.
eternal life in
Why so we put one up?
• Its green all the time.
• Because that lifeitinto oursense
of this makes
• It makes we live in smell nice.
the stuffy cave
• It provides oxygen and entertainment.
Putting up the tree
• Where do you put your Christmas tree?
• In your house.
• Usually where everyone can see it!
• You put it up on a table,
or in the center of a room.
• You put it in a place of honor because
you are proud of the tree you picked!
Putting on the toppings
• What do we put on top
of the Christmas tree?
• We usually put on a
star or an angel on top.
• Let’s read some bible verses.
• Read Matthew 1:20-21
• The angel symbolizes the
revelation of the birth of Jesus.
• Read Matthew 2:9-10
• The star symbolizes the
Star of Bethlehem revealing His location.
The Christmas tree
points to Christ!
• Just like the star points to Christ in the
• The Christmas tree reminds us where we
can ﬁnd him.
• Go down the trunk and what do you ﬁnd?
• What do you put under the tree?
We Put Gifts There!
• Read Matthew 2:11
• On coming to the house, they saw the child
with his mother Mary, and they bowed
down and worshiped him.
• Then they opened their treasures and
presented him with gifts of gold and of
incense and of myrrh.
The best gift
• Jesus is the gift of God to the world
• We should treat others
as we would treat Jesus
• We travel long distances to see loved ones
• We bring them gifts to celebrate
An example of Christ
• The Christmas tree is an example of Christ.
• I want you to realize that Jesus is the tree.
• Read Genesis 2:8-9
• The tree of life, sounds like a Christmas tree.
• Which one did we choose? The wrong one!
• God gives us the chance to choose the right
one in Jesus - the way, the truth and the Life.
Take one home today!
• As you celebrate this Christmas season,
remember the history of the Christmas tree
and how we bring this life into our homes.
• In the same way, God offers Jesus as His gift
of life. He cut Him down, wrapped him up
and offers him to you.
• Take Him into your life, put Him in
a place of honor because he is Eternal Life.
• Read John 3:16
• For God so loved the world that he gave his
one and only Son, that whoever believes in
him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Jesus knows your name
• We put decorations on the Christmas tree
with our names on it.
• Jesus knows each of you by name and
wants to be with you and know you. Why?
• Because he wants to give you eternal life!
• If you want to know Christ more and
experience his warmth, light and life.