• Information technology (IT) is the use of any computers, storage, networking
and other physical devices, infrastructure and processes to create, process,
store, secure and exchange all forms of electronic data.
• IT is considered a subset of information and communications technology.
• Marketing is an organizational function and a set of processes for creating,
communicating and delivering value to customers and for managing customer
relationships in ways that benefit the organization and its stakeholders.
SCOPE OF IT IN MARKETING
• Information technology led to birth of fast and effective marketing .
• Scope of information technology in marketing is defined by the following
• Customer relationship management(CRM) is a term applied to processes
implemented by a company to handle its contact with its customers .
• CRM software is used to support these processes, storing information on
current and prospective customers. Information in the system can be accessed
and entered by employees in different departments, such as sales, marketing,
customer service , training , professional development, performance
management , human resource development, and compensation.
• Identifying target markets, pursuing them, and generating quality follow ups.
• Improving telesales, sales management, optimization of information and the existing
• Providing customer delight by the formation of individualized customer relationship.
• Providing customer information to employees to help them build effective
relationships between the company, its customer base and its distribution partners.
CRM AND IT
• Customer touch points are vital since each business has a marketing orientation and
focuses upon the customer current and future needs. This is the interface between
organization and its customers .
• Applications are essentially the software that support the process. Incidentally, this is what
some knows it as CRM - but we know better. Applications serve marketing (e.g. Data mining
software and permission marketing), sales (e.g. Monitoring customer touch points), and
service (e.g. Customer care).
• Data stores contain data on every aspect of the customer, and the customer life cycle (CLC).
For example, an organization keeps data on the products you buy, when you buy them, and
where they are sent.
• Digital marketing is the practice of promoting products and services using digital
distribution channels to reach consumers in a timely, relevant, personal and cost-
• Digital marketing is achieving marketing objectives through use of electronic
• It is further subcategorized on basis of communication channels.
• Internet marketing
• Mobile marketing
• Internet marketing is the process of growing and promoting an organization
using online media. Internet marketing does not simply mean 'building a
website' or 'promoting a website'. Somewhere behind that website is a real
organization with real goals.
• It includes advertising products, services, public relations, social media, market
research, email marketing, and direct sales.
INTERNET MARKETING TOOLS
• The internet has a number of tools to offer to the marketer.
• A company can distribute via the internet e.g. Amazon.com.
• A company can use the internet as a way of building and maintaining a customer
relationship e.g. Dell.com.
• The money collection part of a transaction could be done online e.g. Electricity and
• The Internet could be used for advertising e.g. Google Adwords.
• Finally, the web can be used as a way of collecting direct responses e.g. as part of a
voting system for a game show.
ADVANTAGES OF INTERNET MARKETING
• Availability of information.
• Learn about products, as well as purchase them, at any hour.
• Reduction in cost on the part of marketer as well as customer.
• Expansion of local markets to national and international markets.
• The ability to reach a specific target audience.
• Information about how the user responded to a marketing message.
• Proof that a message has been received by the user's handset.
MOBILE MARKETING TOOLS
• Mobile Marketing Via SMS.
• Mobile Marketing Via MMS.
• Mobile Web Marketing.
• A sale is the act of selling a product or service in return for money or other
compensation. Signaling completion of the prospective stage, it is the beginning
of an engagement between customer and vendor or the extension of that
• Two major role players of sales are seller and buyer.
STEPS INVOLVED IN SALES
• Major steps involved in sales process are as follows:
● Product knowledge
● The prospecting approach
● Presentation of product
● Closing the sales
● Follow up
● Assessment of every step.
ROLES OF IT IN SALES
• In the sales world, every sales person and manager is looking for sales
management tools that could make their lives easier.
• Enterprise resource planning(ERP) is a cross functional enterprise system driven
by an integrated suite of software modules that supports the basic internal
business processes and links it with purchasing and sales of company.
ROLES OF IT IN SALES(CONT.)
● Management information systems (MIS) enable companies to track sales data
on daily basis. Sales forecasts are a crucial part of the supply chain.
● Supply chain management (SCM) was a major tool which was involved as
inseparable part of sales of company with addition of computers in sales
management. It is an important part of enterprise performance management
• This result demonstrates the significant role of information technology in today's
business world and in marketing management in improved productivity and
major cost saving.
• Better customer relationship management.
• Helped to solve major problems related to customer services like customer
loyalty and customer satisfaction.