Successfully reported this slideshow.
• HOW DOES IT WORKS?
• TOUCH SCREEN TECHNOLOGIES
• MULTI-TOUCH TECHNOLOGY
A touch screen is an input device
that allows users to operate a
device by simply touching the
The term generally refers to
touch or contact to the display of
the device by a finger or hand.
Working of Touchscreen
• A touch screen sensor is a clear glass panel with a touch responsive surface.
• The sensor generally has an electrical current or signal going through it and
touching the screen causes a voltage or signal change.
• The controller is a small PC card that connects between the touch sensor
and the PC.
• The controller determines what type of interface/connection you will need
on the PC.
• The driver is a software that allows the touch screen and computer to work
• Most touch screen drivers today are a mouse-emulation type driver.
Resistive touch screen
Capacitive touch screen
Infrared touch screen
• A resistive touchscreen panel comprises several layers, the
most important of which are two layers.
• One is conductive layer and resistive layer separated by tiny
dots called spacers.
• An electric current flows between the two layers.
Resistive touch screen deliver:
• Consistence performance
CAPACITIVE TOUCH SCREEN
• A capacitive touch screen
panel is one which consists
of an insulator such as glass,
coated with a transparent
conductor such as Indium
tin oxide (ITO).
• As the human body is also a
conductor, touching the
surface of the screen
results in a distortion of the
screen's electrostatic field,
measurable as a change in
INFRARED TOUCH SCREEN
• An infrared touch screen
uses a ray of X-Y infrared
LED and photodetector pairs
around the edges of the
screen to detect a disruption
in the pattern of LED beams.
• These LED beams cross each
other in vertical and
horizontal patterns. This
helps the sensors pick up the
exact location of the touch.
• A major benefit of such a
system is that it can detect
essentially any input including
a finger, gloved finger, stylus
Infrared Touch Screen
With stressing the finger on the desired
area of the touch screen, the input is taken by
the sensors of the screen.
Finger nail as stylus:
With the help of touching the screen with
the finger nail which acts as the stylus, input
can be taken by the sensors.
• On touch screen displays, multi-touch refers
to the ability to simultaneously register three
or more distinct positions of input touches.
Error free input
User finger, finger nail, gloved hand,
stylus or any soft tip pointer to
Make computing easy, powerful and fun
Stress on human fingers when
used for more than a few minutes at a
time. (for example, ATMs).
Touch screens can suffer from
the problem of fingerprints on the
Though the touch screen technology
contains some limitations with it, it is
fast, accurate, user friendly and fun to
operate .It is being widely accepted.
With some modifications, it can
completely replace mouse and keyboard
completely in the near future.
“Company history from Elographics to Elo TouchSystems, 1971 -
present - Elo TouchSystems - Tyco Electronics”. www.elotouch.com.
3 March 2010.
“The HP-150”. www.columbia.edu.
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/hp150.html. Accessed 3
Hsu, Andrew. "Choosing a touch technology for handheld-system
applications." EDN, January 8, 2009: 40-44.
Nichols, Steven J. Vaughan “New Interfaces at the Touch of a
Izadi, Shahram, et al. "ThinSight: A Thin Form-Factor Interactive
Surface Technology." Association for Computing Machinery.
IEEE Society August. 2007: 12-15.