SEMINAR ON ADVERTISING AND SALES
COMMUNICATION – CASE OF
FIFA WORLD CUP 2014 AND
SEM 4, MBA
UNIVERSITY OF CALICUT
• Marketing communication or promotion is one
of the elements of the marketing mix and is
responsible for putting the marketing offer to
the target market. It is the planned and
integrated communication activity that
communicates with an organisation’s
stakeholders (Fill, C., 2002)
• Marketing communications are the means by
which firms attempt to inform, persuade and
remind consumers – directly or indirectly
about the products and brands they sell.
• Marketing communications represent the
voice of the company and its brands and are
means by which it can establish a dialogue
and build relationships with consumers.
The marketing communications mix consists of eight major modes of
• Advertising – Any paid form of nonpersonal presentation and
promotion of ideas, goods or services by an identified sponsor.
• Sales promotion – A variety of short term incentives to encourage
trial or purchase of a product or service.
• Events and experience – Company sponsored activities and
programs designed to create daily or special brand related
• Public relations and publicity – A variety of programs designed to
promote or protect a company’s image or its individual products.
• Direct marketing – Use of mail, telephone, fax, e-mail or Internet to
communicate directly with or solicit response or dialogue from
specific customers and prospects.
• Interactive marketing – Online activities and programs designed to
engage customers or prospects and directly or indirectly raise
awareness, improve image or elicit sales of products and services.
• Word-of-mouth marketing – People to people oral, written or
electronic communication that relate to the merits or experiences
of purchasing or using products or services.
• Personal selling – Face to face interaction with one or more
prospective purchasers for the purpose of making presentations,
asking questions and procuring orders.
FIFA WORLD CUP 2014 – BRAZIL
• ABOUT FIFA :
• The Fédération Internationale de Football
Association (FIFA / fi f /; English:ˈ ː ə
International Federation of Association
Football) is the international governing body
of association football, futsal and beach
soccer. FIFA is responsible for the organisation
of football's major international tournaments,
notably the World Cup.
• The FIFA World Cup, often simply called the
World Cup, is an international association
football competition contested by the senior
men's national teams of the members of
Fédération Internationale de Football Association
(FIFA), the sport's global governing body. The
championship has been awarded every four years
since the inaugural tournament in 1930, except in
1942 and 1946 when it was not held because of
the Second World War. The current champions
are Germany, who won the 2014 tournament in
WORLD CUP 2014 – BRAZIL
• The 2014 FIFA World Cup was the 20th FIFA World
Cup, the tournament for the association football world
championship, which took place at several venues
• It began on 12 June, with a group stage, and concluded
on 13 July with the final. It was the second time that
Brazil has hosted the competition, the first being in
1950. Brazil was elected unchallenged as host nation in
2007 after the international football federation, FIFA,
decreed that the tournament would be staged in South
America for the first time since 1978 in Argentina, and
the fifth time overall.
• Winners : Germany
• Runners : Argentina
• Third : Holland
• Fourth : Brazil
• The presentation discusses the
communication mix of FIFA WORLD CUP 2014
and main sponsors.
• The below given communication mix are
identified and discussed :
– Public relations
• Earned and owned media
• Sponsors will take world cup to people
– FIFA FAN FEST
• This was covered hugely in the media
– MEDIA COVERAGE
• Mascot :
– Fuleco ; armadillo
– Publicity through fantastico
– internet : online voting for
Football + ecology = fuleco
• Promotional tour of the world cup across
• Fuleco travelled around the world
• Slogan : ALL IN ONE RHYTHM™.
• Posture : “An entire country at football’s
service – Brazil and football: one shared
• Music :
– In January 2014, FIFA and Sony Music announced that
the official song for the tournament will be "We Are One
(Ole Ola)" by Pitbull, Jennifer Lopez and Claudia Leitte.
– A customized version of the song "Dare (La La La)" by
Shakira, who provided the official song of the 2010
tournament, will be used as a secondary theme song.
– Sony also launched a global music contest – entitled 'SuperSong' – to
select a song for the competition's official album, One Love, One
Rhythm.The contest allowed any person to submit a song via a website,
with the winning entrant to be professionally recorded by the singer
Ricky Martin.In February 2014, American Elijah King was chosen with
the song "Vida”.
– In March 2014, FIFA also announced the addition of an official
anthem, selecting the song "Dar um Jeito (We Will Find a Way)",
recorded by Avicii, Carlos Santana, Wyclef Jean and Alexandre Pires.
• Ticket fund
– Initiative to give access to the matches along with
sponsors, mainly to the population at South Africa
• After the 2006 FIFA World Cup FIFA unveiled its new commercial strategy,
the main feature of which was a new, three-tier sponsorship structure.
• The primary tier consists of the FIFA Partners, the second tier of FIFA World
Cup Sponsors and the third tier of the National Supporters for each FIFA
• The six FIFA Partners have the highest level of association with FIFA and all
FIFA events as well as playing a wider role in supporting the development of
football all around the world, from grassroots right up to the top level at the
FIFA World Cup. This allows FIFA and its Partners to form true partnerships,
adding great value to the engagement for both sides.
• FIFA World Cup Sponsors have rights to the FIFA Confederations Cup
and the FIFA World Cup on a global basis. The main rights for a sponsor
in this tier are brand association, the use of selected marketing assets and
media exposure, as well as ticketing and hospitality offers for the events.
• The National Supporter level is the final level of FIFA’s sponsorship
structure, allowing companies with roots in the host country of each FIFA
event to promote an association in the domestic market.
• One major benefit of FIFA’s sponsorship strategy is the wide product
category exclusivity which is afforded to all Commercial Affiliates,
allowing each brand to distinguish themselves from competing brands in
their product category.
– THIS IS THE WORLD’S CUP. EVERBODY IS INVITED.
SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY (PUBLIC RELATION) : -
Score big for a school near you.
Soccer ball to schools .
PIN MY FAN PARK
Share your moments of joy.
SOCIAL WORLD CUP WITH HYUNDAI
Advertisement and virtual marketing on social
Promote all new genesis and sonata.
Provide vehicles for the event
Road to brazil : interviews with football players
Virtual road trip
Don’t miss a moment even at a height of 42,000
– Passengers could view the matches in the flight.
Advertisement : connecting every fan of the game.
Sponsors at the ‘digital life category’.
One stadium :
Photos of people at Sony website from 12 stadiums
Photos taken at Tokyo Sony building (Ginza) posted at
with JICA social programs at 17 cities at Cote d’Ivorie
Public viewing of matches in Sony HD TV and HQ audio
friendly football match with multi ethnic teams and
promoting understanding between different ethnic
Promote PSVITA – ULTIMATE DIGITAL DEVICE
SONY 4K – official TV of world cup (BRAVIA)
PLAY MEMORIES ONLINE : photo book themes
TV side view : quick remote control and TV guide
Xperia Lounge App : predictor platform – score
goals, challenge friends in fb
• Strategy : to add a lot more digital content
– ‘samba of the world’ – make a video
– Visa Teletransporter : the page viewer can
transport themselves to event/matches etc. most
popular was Van Persie’s goal against Spain.
– Working at the speed of culture : was room
environment was created at Sao Paolo, NY and SF.
24X7 testing content – market, reviewing and
– Promotion : 6000 viewers visit pre matches,
dressing rooms and see matches.
– Advertisement : United in rivalry – diversion from
sports stars – noble laureates
– Visa everywhere travel report – reports of using
visa debit, credit and prepaid cards across brazil
(three fold increase)
• Most social event than last world cup and
• The reach for SONY SIX increased from past
• The best performing market for Sony Six so far
Krishnan says, "No prizes for guessing. It has
been West Bengal followed by Kerala,
Mumbai, Chennai and Assam.“
• The viewers reached 43,968,000.
• According to TAM data sourced from the channel
for week 16 to week 26 (13 April to 5 July 2014)
Six has been placed number one for 11 weeks
now. Krishnan adds “It is a pointer for the future.
In the next five years many international titles
like UEFA Euro 2016 and FIFA World Cup 2018
will help our channel immensely. The time zone
for FIFA will be more favorable this time for our
telecast to the Indian audiences as FIFA will be
held in Russia.”
• Nike outweighed the partners Adidas, with ad
campaigns : winner stays and risk everything.
• It is most social world cup and there is social
• The communication mix had owned and
earned media than paid media.
• There is a possibility of corporate over kill.
• Wright, S John, Advertising, TMG Hill, 1978.