Date: 20th June 2009 (Sat)
Venue: SUNTECH@Penang Cybercity
Seminar Hall@11th Floor
About the seminar:
• This session helps parents understand how mathematics can be used as a tool to bring up intelligent children.
• The speaker will use examples of mathematics from kindergarten to standard six levels to show how teachers and parents can help children develop strong number sense as well as the ability to make connections and to visualize.
• Children's ability to communicate can also be developed through mathematics.
• This session will help you have a new view that mathematics is not about memorizing, following procedures and doing tedious computations.
• It is based on Singapore's experience in consistently being able to help 75% of their student population achieve a high level of achievement on international achievement benchmark such as the TIMSS (Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study).
About the speaker:
• His research interest includes mathematical problem solving, assessment, lesson study, teacher education and early childhood mathematics.
• He has written numerous research papers and given many keynote lectures at regional and international conferences.
• In the recent months, Dr Yeap has delivered a keynote lecture on early mathematics alongside world-renowned speakers from USA, Japan and Australia at an international symposium.
• He was also invited to present a session to education officers in World Bank.
• Later this year, Dr Yeap is one of the plenary speakers at an international conference hosted by SEAMEO RECSAM.
• Dr Yeap has conducted teacher training in Singapore and beyond - Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Cambodia, Hong Kong, South Africa, Chile, United Arab Emirates and USA.
• He has given seminars to parents in Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines and Malaysia.
• He is a well-known author of children's books including a textbook series approved for use in kindergartens in California. He is also the consulting author of a well-known textbook seriens for secondary schools in Singapore.
• Dr Yeap graduated with masters in arts on southeast asian studies, masters of education and holds a Ph.D. in mathematics education.
• Dr Yeap received commendation for excellence in teaching award from his university for three years in a row in 2006, 2007 and 2008.