28 Steps to Start Enjoying Your Business Again
1. Make a “Stop” list
• Business owners always say, “I’m the only one who can do X” and then their days
are filled with work they hate.
• Make a list of work you do not enjoy and find a way to get rid of it.
38 Steps to Start Enjoying Your Business Again
2. Trade out Problem Employees
• Nothing saps energy like a problem employee.
Think of how much more enjoyable your work
day will be with someone else in the problem
• Admit it, you will eventually have to replace
them or they will quit, bite the bullet and
replace them now.
48 Steps to Start Enjoying Your Business Again
3. Fire bad customers
• Not all business is good business. Some
customers are overly-demanding, harass your
people, or beat every last dollar of margin from
• Instead of taking what these bad customers give
you, get proactive and demand better treatment
or pricing from them. If they quit, so what.
58 Steps to Start Enjoying Your Business Again
4. Get out of the office
Go to a coffee shop for a couple hours and strategize. Stepping away from your business
for just a few hours can recharge your batteries more than you think.
68 Steps to Start Enjoying Your Business Again
5. Make a timeline
• Create an annual timeline for your business highlighting the accomplishments and
business model innovations.
• If you cannot think of many, perhaps that is the problem? Make a list of how your
business model may have become stale and what initiatives you can do to recharge
78 Steps to Start Enjoying Your Business Again
6. Invest time in your best people
• Your top people can vastly improve your
business and your happiness along with it. In
order to grow these stars, you need to mentor
and nurture them.
• Find the time to meet weekly with each key
employee for only fifteen minutes and watch
the magic happen.
88 Steps to Start Enjoying Your Business Again
7. Take a customer field trip
• Take a few days to simply visit with
customers. Step out from behind the counter
or go to the customers place of business.
• After just a handful of these meetings you will
be reminded of all the benefits you bestow
98 Steps to Start Enjoying Your Business Again
If you truly make an effort to reinvigorate
yourself but you simply cant, don’t waste your
life on a business that doesn’t make you happy.
Sell it, give it to the employees, or just walk
away – life’s too short.