Successfully reported this slideshow.
Federal Motor Carrier Rules and
A Few Basics
•2 sets of “Rules” that apply to what you do
•Rules of the Road
•Registration and Taxation
•Weight and Dimension
Rules of the Road
•Use of Roadway (driving, passing, turning,
•Prohibited actions (DUI, phone/texting)
Registration and Taxation
•Proper licensing of vehicles
• >26,000 lbs, 3 axles on the ground, gross
•Fuel Taxation (IFTA)
• >26,000 lbs, 3 axles on the ground, or registered
• Instead of IRP/IFTA
• 72 hours -or
• 1 trip
• Good for Intrastate hauling (point to point in Nebraska)
• ONLINE ONLY http://dmv.nebraska.com/services
Open City Agreements
• Omaha/Council Bluffs/Carter Lake
• Nebraska City/Hamburg
• Sioux City/South Sioux City/North Sioux City/Port Neal
• Yankton (3 Mile radius of city limits)
• The agreement with the State of South Dakota grants full license
reciprocity to properly licensed commercial, non-apportioned vehicles,
which enter and remain within the corporate city limits of S. Sioux
City, Dakota City, N. Sioux City and Yankton; but does not allow intra-
state hauling. Agreement does not include fuel tax authority.
• Includes agreements for Iowa carriers in Omaha, (and its Federal
Commercial zone), Bellevue, S. Sioux City, Dakota City and Nebraska
• Full license reciprocity to properly licensed commercial and non-
apportioned vehicles; but does not allow intra-state hauling.
• No requirement for IFTA within these corporate limits.
• No requirement for Operating Authority (MC).
Intra-State Hauling for Non-NE trucks
• Non Resident commercial plate
• 72 Hour Prorate permit
• Apportioned Registration
Unified Carrier Registration
• Applies to ALL Commercial Vehicles (10,001lbs or greater) in
• Fee based on fleet size per most recent MCS-150
• Fees filed at www.ucr.gov
Dimensional Law - Length
•All over-dimensional permits are issued by the Nebraska
Department of Transportation.
•Hours of Service
• Emergency Equipment
• Cargo Securement
Medical Card Requirements
• Intrastate (within NE and trade zone cities)
• CDL class vehicle needs valid med card to operate unless excepted
(custom harvester, beekeeper, etc). On abstract
• Non-CDL Class – no med card required.
• CDL Class vehicle needs valid med card, on abstract.
• Non-CDL Class (but CMV >10,000lbs) needs a valid card, may need
to be carried on person.
Hours of Service
• CDL – Intrastate and Interstate, unless exempted
• 100 air mile radius (12 hour return, 10 hours off between shifts)
• Non-CDL – Interstate unless exempted
• 150 air mile radius
• Can’t drive after 14 hours/16 hours (2 days out of 7)
• Must return to work reporting location at the end of the day
• 10 hours off
• Company must keep 6 months of time card records to validate.
• 14 hour return, no more than 11 hours drive
• No 30 minute break requirement
• Carrier must notify FMCSA of any accident within 5
• Carry copy of exemption (FAST Act section 5206(b)1
and 5521 for ready mix drivers, Federal Register for
asphalt haulers-Docket No. FMCSA-2017-0197)
Hours of Service -Interstate
•11 Hours Drive
•14 Hour Workday
•10 hours off
•70 hours in 8 days
•12 Hours Drive
•16 Hour Workday
•10 hours off
•80 hours in 8 days
Hours of Service -Intrastate
And here’s Iowa!!!