Jignesh Khunt Mca~3 Roll No: 25
• It is a mind-to-movement system that allows a
quadriplegic man to control a computer using his
• The system is to help those who have lost control of
their limbs, or other bodily functions, such as patients
with spinal cord injury to operate various gadgets
such as TV, computer ,lights, fan etc.
• It monitors brain activity in the patient and converts
the intention of the user into computer commands
• This can be used to control a robot arm or a cursor on
• Company and Scientist:
• Brain Gate is a brain implant system
developed by the bio-tech company
Cyber kinetics in 2003 in conjunction with
the Department of Neuroscience at Brown
• The principle of brain gate
neural interface system is that
which intact with brain
function, neural signals
generated are interpreted by the
systems and a cursor is shown to
the user on a computer screen
that provides an alternate
“Brain Gate pathway". The user
can use that cursor to control
the computer, just as a mouse is
• “BCIs” usually connects the brain (or nervous system) with a
• A Brain Computer Interface, called as direct neural interface
or brain machine interface is a direct communication pathway
between human or animal brain and an external device.
• Based on the communicative Pathway BCI is classified as
One Way BCI
Two Way BCI
BCI Technology (Cont.)
• One Way BCI: Computers either accept commands from
the brain or send signals to it (for example, to restore vision)
but not both.
• Two Way BCI: Brains and external devices can exchange
information in both directions.
• The Neuro chip: A 4-millimeter
square silicon chip studded
with 100 hair-thin
microelectrodes is embedded
in the primary motor cortex
the region of the brain
responsible for controlling
• The connector: When the user thinks “move cursor up
and down”, the cortical neurons fire in a distinctive
pattern: the signal is transmitted through the pedestal plug
attached to the skull
The components in this system
• The converter: The signal travels
to an amplifier mounted on the
user’s wheelchair, where it’s
converted to optical data and
bounced by fiber-optic cable to a
• The computer: The computer
translates brain activity and
creates the communication output
using custom decoding software.
• The Brain Gate neural interface device consist
of an Inter neural signal sensor and External
• The sensor consists of a tiny chip containing
100 microscopic electrodes that detect brain
cell electrical activity.
• The chip is implanted on the surface of brain in
the motor cortex area that controls movement.
• External Processors convert neural signals into an
output signal under the users own control.
• The computers translate brain activity and create
the communication output using custom decoding
HOW INFORMATION IS
• When a work is done through any part of
body then a potential difference is created
in the brain.
• This potential difference is captured by the
electrodes and is transmitted via fiber optic
to the Digitizer(external processor).
• The digitizer converts the signal into some
0’s and 1’s and that is feed into the
• Now when external devices are connected
to the computer ,then they work according
to the thought produced in the motor cortex.
Brain Gate Research in Human
A boon to the paralyzed
• Mathew-Nagel the first person to use the
brain-computer interface to restore
functionality lost due to paralysis…
• Controlling remote devices
• Making and receiving telephone
• Accessing the internet.
• Turn on or off the lights
• Control robotic arm
• Watch and control television
• Use the pc
• Locking or unlocking doors
• Motorized wheelchair
• Risky Surgery
• Not Wireless yet
• Difficulty in adaptation and learning.
• Limitation in information transform rate.
The latest technology is 20 bits/min.