More on Smart Watches
● Smartphone Replacement? or Companion?
○ Computation Power (Cloud can help?)
○ Screen (size, always-on or not)
○ Battery (smarter processors)
● Why use Smart Watches
○ Convenient (no more pick phone->unlock->find
○ Unique sensors (step counter, heart-rate,
temperature and etc)
● Single-board computer platforms
○ Raspberry Pi vs Arduino vs Beaglebone Black
○ Low price ($25-$45)
○ Powerful computers and applications
● Hardwares providing network connectivity
○ Electric Imp, Pinoccio, Spark
○ Modules support Zigbee such as XBee
● Software providing Cloud connectivity
○ Arrayent: Used on Whirlpool smart appliances
LEGO pieces - build your own!
● A single-core microcontroller.
● Cheap ($25 for Uno version, $69 for Yun version)
● Extensible (wide range of compatible components
● Open Source board design.
● Easy to program, great for prototyping ideas.
● Plenty of tutorials, vibrant communities.
● It is about input (from sensors) and output (make things
happen). Similar to IFTTT.
● Connects virtual (code) with physical (world)
- Eink showing tweets
- Pillow Alarm w/ Arduino
- Pillow with music and LED lights
- Glass Pulse meter
- Heart rate sensor on a pair of glass.
- sleepiness analysis
Supply Chain & Manufacturing
● Component/parts sourcing
○ Hardware making lessons learnt from Apple
○ Lemnos Labs is helping startups find right China manufacturers
● For international markets
○ Made in USA vs Made in China
○ Raspberry Pi are going to be made in UK
● Cloud/Mobile/Device -- syncing among
● Real-time requirements
● Multiple users / connectivity
● Energy harvesting / wireless charging
● New sensors & batteries rapidly evolving
● Paradigm shift in App design
● Different forms of information I/O
● Real action to intelligence & data
● Crowdsourced models enabled (Tile)
● How does wearable devices change human behavior?
● Which device will become the integrator of what
functions? (Glass? Watch? Ring? Phone?)
● What new problems can these solve?
● Does China’s manufacturing infrastructure provide
advantage over US? Is cost really an issue?
● Which will run faster, US or China?
● Sensor within the human body?! (Singularity)