1520PCA 1520PCASome Questions Covered
• Can Branding REALLY help Drive Sales? How?
• How Much Does it Cost (in real dollars and LOST sales)?
• What Constitutes a Good Brand?
• What is More Important: Good Product / Service or
• What are the Intangibles of a Great Brand?
• And you will have more….
1520PCA 1520PCAPersonal Brand?
Who Am I? Tall / Short?
Casual / Constricted
Funny / Serious
I’m not Jewish but I play one on TV!
Female / Male
Everyday is Fryday
1520PCA 1520PCABrand Definition
1. kind, grade, or make, as indicated by a stamp, trademark, or
the like: the best brand of coffee.
2. a mark made by burning or otherwise, to indicate kind, grade,
make, ownership, etc.
3. a mark formerly put upon criminals with a hot iron.
4. any mark of disgrace; stigma.
5. branding iron.
6. a kind or variety of something distinguished by some
distinctive characteristic: The movie was filled with slapstick—
a brand of humor he did not find funny.
7. a burning or partly burned piece of wood.
1520PCA 1520PCAConventional Wisdom
A brand is a product, service, or concept that is publicly
distinguished from other products, services, or concepts so that
it can be easily communicated and usually marketed. A brand
name is the name of the distinctive product, service, or concept.
Branding is the process of creating and disseminating the brand
name. Branding can be applied to the entire corporate identity
as well as to individual product and service names.
Here is the famous advertising copywriter and ad agency founder David
Ogilvy's definition of a brand:
The intangible sum of a product's attributes: its name,
packaging, and price, its history, its reputation, and the way it's
1520PCA 1520PCAThe Easy Definition
“A Reputation (Brand) is What
Speaks When There is No One
There To Speak for It.”
1520PCA 1520PCAWhat Is The Difference?
INHERITANCE TAX DEATH TAX
1520PCA 1520PCAWhat is Branding?
Brands Always Speak to Your Gut
Not To Your Head
They Elicit a Feeling
1520PCA 1520PCABrand Power Example - Water
City of LA
Based on Marketing / Imaging most People were able
to accurately estimate the most expensive brands
1520PCA 1520PCATaste Is In Your Mouth
#1 out of 16#15 out of 16
Based on Taste NO ONE as able to accurately predict a the best!
1520PCA 1520PCAViral Marketing
• Branding for Start Ups / Small Business
• Smaller is Better – A Virus Spreads Faster because it is
easier to transmit
• Passion Sells – Lots of touches make it spread faster
• Recruits sellers without their knowledge or having to
• Social Networks ARE Great, But Manage the Personal
Network, Build your TRIBE
1520PCA 1520PCAViral Example
HOPE & CHANGE
A relatively Unknown (Start Up) Wins Highest Office In the Land
1520PCA 1520PCALocal Example - AGH
Austin Green Homebuilder
Uses Green without Green
Uses Overused Term “Green”
Lack of Clear Meaning
Hard To Spread Concept
1520PCA 1520PCAWhere Do I Start?
What Do You Stand For?
What You want to be
1520PCA 1520PCA#1 Factor For A Great Brand
“Differentiate or Die”
No One Ever Remembers
1520PCA 1520PCAMarketing Jedi Tricks
If you are not #1 in a category, create one where you are:
Example: Hardwired DSP
PRISM Chipset (#1 selling in world) (Personal Radio for the ISM
Focus IS important (do not water down)
Do ONE Thing Better Than Anyone Else AND be KNOWN For It!
1520PCA 1520PCAElements of Branding
• Shapes (Geometric, Others)
• Colors (Each Conveys Meaning)
• Imagery (Animals, Myths, etc.)
• Words (Logo & Tag Lines)
1520PCA 1520PCAElements of a GREAT Brand
• Easy to Remember
• Aligns Passion of Product or Service to Customer’s
Needs / Wants
• Conveys What your Words Convey
• Short And Sweet “Just Do It”
• Easy to Remember, Easy To Recall Meaning
• Easy To Remember, Easy To Elicit Correct Feeling
1520PCA 1520PCALets Get Branding
• Let’s Do A Branding Exercise NOW!