This presentation argues that we currently live in a world where the algorithms of Facebook, Google, and the other gigants are trying to do their best to deliver content to us that we like.
This has many positive effects as we enjoy seeing stuff that we agree with.
However, there is another side to things. As the evolution of the like algorithms build truths where you never see the other side of the story, we are actually moving further and further away from complete information and understanding of each others differences.
Each node of likeminded likers get their own beliefs confirmed as they only get to see what they like. A situation of misguided intentions appear where everyones good will of creating a frictionless space, leads to a world where we are being led further and further apart.
TEA PARTY TEST
• I selected 100 of my friends who are in the Tea party movement in
• I have asked them to:
• Search for “Global warming”!
• Make a screen print of the first page and send it back
SELLING BEYOND THE ALREADY BLESSED
1. Self optimising ad systems work the same way as Google,
Facebook & Twitter!
2. The fragmented web means we need to find ways to get our
messages carried between nodes and clusters of users!
3. Mass marketing will be increasingly difficult as it will only show up to
the clusters of people who's preferences it meets —> customers
who already want your stuff
1. You need to start thinking of spaces where your information is not
being curated by like-loving-algorithms!
2. Such as the AFK environment!
3. Such as print marketing!
4. Such as outdoor & events
YOU NEED TO HAVE AN OPINION
1. Google, Facebook & Twitter will show users stuff based on who they
are, what they believe - what they like!
2. IF you can target people based on beliefs, you can target the
messaging of your content to fit the visitor it will appeal to!
3. This, naturally means that you have to have an opinion and a firm
belief —> in order to meet them