Responding to the challenge of 'how to reduce food waste in our community?' my group undertook a 5 week HCD course to explore possible solutions. This presentation demonstrates our understanding and thought processes
● Understand food waste and loss issues
● Identify any working solutions in existence
● Identify innovation and originality
● Understand the food production ecosystem
We contacted users from every point in the food-
production chain; from farmers, through to charity CEOs,
small business owners, store managers and end-
We interviewed people about how they managed food
waste in their own home and investigated commercial
solutions to food waste currently in use.
We sought to understand where the best place to tackle
food waste might begin.
1. Awareness: Food retailer and manufacturers include positive call-to-action at point-of-
purchase and throughout marketing.
2. Interaction Consumer signs up via tablet / mobile device. Encounters loyalty card data as
a starting point to food planning, with further options for manual
personalisation e.g. gluten free, or vegan
3. Planning Tool creates a weekly food plan based upon preferences and purchase history
4. In-store Mobile device scanned upon entry to store. Retailer stock levels compared to
meal plan. Meal plan adjusts and delivers vouchers for any items overstocked
or reaching end-of-life to encourage customer to purchase these
5. Point-of-purchase After shopping, scanned meal plan updates in real time to account for any
extra items or impulse shopping purchases
6. At home Meal recipes with how-to videos and instructions delivered to device at pre-set
times. Alarms utlilised to help manage timings
7. Optimisation Meals ticked off as made and eaten. Any changes recorded and meal-plan
updates to account for food not used.