Be Not Overcome of Evil, but
Overcome Evil with Good!
Rom 12:9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor
what is evil. Cling to what is good.
Rom 12:14 Bless those who persecute you;
bless and do not curse.
Rom 12:17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have
regard for good things in the sight of all men.
Rom 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but
overcome evil with good.
One thing that has always stood out
to be about the Bible is that it
definitely was not written by ordinary
▪ There is no way that men would have
come up with some of the things found in
▪ Everything in us goes against some of
what is written in this book!
▸“Love your enemy” but I have to get him
before he gets me!
In our lesson today we are going to be
looking at one of these teachings that
seems to go against every fiber of our
▪ Knowing what to do, and really doing it are
a lot different from one another, and this
lesson is one we all know we should be
doing, but often struggle to do it!
▪ It is our hope & prayer that this lesson will
help prepare us to put into practice this
It is only after we learn to practice
this principle that we will be able to
love others as Jesus loves us!
▪ Rom 5:8 But God demonstrates His own
love toward us, in that while we were still
sinners, Christ died for us.
▪ John 13:34 A new commandment I give to
you, that you love one another; as I have
loved you, that you also love one another.
▪ Without the self-giving sacrifice of Christ,
none of us could overcome! (2 Cor. 5:18-21)
I. The Result!
▪ We usually end with the result, but today we
want to begin with it! (Rom. 12:21)
▸ This verse is the last verse in a chapter
that is dealing with “overcoming the world!”
▪ This principle begins in verse 9 and
continues down to verse 21!
▸ Key verses in the passage that all teach
this to be our focus! (Rom. 12:9, 14, 17 &
This is found throughout the Bible!
▪ Pr 20:22 Do not say, "I will recompense
evil"; Wait for the LORD, and He will save
▪ 1Thess 5:15 See that no one renders evil
for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is
good both for yourselves and for all.
▪ 1Pet 3:9 not returning evil for evil or
reviling for reviling, but on the contrary
blessing, knowing that you were called to
this, that you may inherit a blessing.
We are to do good to others
because God is good to us, not
because others are good to us!
▪ Mt 5:44-48 "But I say to you, love your enemies,
bless those who curse you, do good to those who
hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you
and persecute you, "that you may be sons of your
Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the
evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and
on the unjust. "And if you greet your brethren only,
what do you do more than others? Do not even the
tax collectors do so? "Therefore you shall be perfect,
just as your Father in heaven is perfect.”
II. The Response!
We are to respond to evil with good!
▪ This is often not our first response, this is often
rather a choice we must make!
▪ The world says to do to others as they have
done to us! Not as you would have them do to
you! These are 2 very difference responses!
▸One responds according to what was done to
▸One responds despite what others have
Rom 12:20 Therefore "If your enemy is
hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give
him a drink; For in so doing you will
heap coals of fire on his head."
▪ Have you ever wondered how this works?
▪ Keeping in mind the verse that follows, it
cannot mean that we are trying to hurt him, but
rather than we are trying to help!
▪ Have you ever been mean to someone and
they respond with open arms & love and you
feel an inch tall afterwards!
III. The Reward!
▪ Imagine what would happen if every
Christian learned this principle & learned to
practice it, imagine the countless doors that
would be opened to teach others!
▪ It has been said that “people don't care
how much you know, until the know how
much you care!”
▪ Maybe you have heard this one “kill them
Notice how this works!
▪ Tit 2:7-8 in all things showing yourself to be
a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing
integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, sound
speech that cannot be condemned, that one
who is an opponent may be ashamed, having
nothing evil to say of you.
▪ 1Pe 2:12 having your conduct honorable
among the Gentiles, that when they speak
against you as evildoers, they may, by your
good works which they observe, glorify God in
the day of visitation.
▪ Every day that we live in this world, we are
often given opportunities to practice this!
▪ “Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil
▪ Have you come to know the love of God in
your life? Have you come to trust Him with your
salvation? Have you come to learn to love as
▪ If you are a Christian, then let us learn to
overcome the evil in the world by being a
beacon of light!