Tech Unit Formative Assessment by Jefferson Hartman
This tech unit consists of several stages:
1. introductory teaching of element symbols, formulas, coefficients, subscripts, and
simple chemical equation balancing
2. WISE project called Hydrogen Fuel Cells
3. Power Point presentation of hydrogen fuel cells and hydrogen and gasoline as an
4. Summative assessment of hydrogen fuel cells and hydrogen and gasoline as an
This document explains the formative assessment(s) for this tech unit.
After the first day working with the WISE Hydrogen Fuel Cell project, students are asked
to take part in an electronic discussion embedded into the project. I found this to a good
opportunity to assess their knowledge of energy transformation. I order to make sense of
the hydrogen fuel cell students must understand how energy is transformed. The
discussion prompt asks students to write a story about how energy is transformed during
a bicycle trip to Taco Bell. I tell the students that they can not revisit the computers until
everyone have finished their story. I give them a series of questions they must answer
and a minimum length of one full page of writing.
1. What kind of energy is stored in your muscles?
2. How did the energy get into your muscles?
3. What type of energy are your muscles in motion?
4. What type of energy are a moving bicycle pedal, chain, sprocket and wheel?
5. What type of energy does a body release when exercising?
After typing their story into the discussion board, students must respond to a minimum of
two other stories, checking for accuracy.
Through the WISE project, students are given prompts and asked to explain certain
concepts or ideas presented.
Toward the end of the project, there is a sense maker step about hydrogen and gasoline
as a fuel source. Students are given choices that either belongs in the hydrogen or
gasoline category: 50% efficient, 20% efficient, easy to transport, compressible,
renewable and nonrenewable. The intent of this formative assessment is getting a student
to form an opinion about what energy source is best.
I have also included two BrainPop video quizzes on Types of Energy and Fuel Cells.