Key Takeaway:We are a publicly traded company. Please make your buying decisions only on the products commercially available from Salesforce.com.
Talk Track: Before I begin, just a quick note that when considering future developments, whether by us or with any other solution provider, you should always base your purchasing decisions on what is currently available.
If you are familiar with Informatica, Boomi or dataloader.io you should feel right at home. How does it make building app faster? I’m glad you asked.
This is my fellow Appirian Jarrod Kingston who is a Salesforce MVP, administrator and consultant. He’s running a project to create a ecommerce site for a client. He’s smiling because he know his data is safe, happy and secure inside salesforce. He can create, update and delete records and knows that they will be reflected on the site in a couple of minutes. He can write any Apex code, workflow, validation rules or whatever he needs in salesforce to control and enhance the necessary business processes for the application. As a bonus, he’s able to staff the project easier as he has a much larger pool of developers since he’s using HC.
Creates the table for you!
Build Consumer-Facing Apps with Heroku Connect
Build Consumer-Facing Apps with
Developer Evangelist Architect
Safe harbor statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995:
This presentation may contain forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties, and assumptions. If any such uncertainties materialize or if any of
the assumptions proves incorrect, the results of salesforce.com, inc. could differ materially from the results expressed or implied by the forward-looking
statements we make. All statements other than statements of historical fact could be deemed forward-looking, including any projections of product or service
availability, subscriber growth, earnings, revenues, or other financial items and any statements regarding strategies or plans of management for future
operations, statements of belief, any statements concerning new, planned, or upgraded services or technology developments andcustomer contracts or use of
The risks and uncertainties referred to above include – but are not limited to – risks associated with developing and delivering new functionality for our service,
new products and services, our new business model, our past operating losses, possible fluctuations in our operating results and rate of growth, interruptions or
delays in our Web hosting, breach of our security measures, the outcome of any litigation, risks associated with completed and any possible mergers and
acquisitions, the immature market in which we operate, our relatively limited operating history, our ability to expand, retain, and motivate our employees and
manage our growth, new releases of our service and successful customer deployment, our limited history reselling non-salesforce.comproducts, and utilization
and selling to larger enterprise customers. Further information on potential factors that could affect the financial results of salesforce.com, inc. is included in our
annual report on Form 10-K for the most recent fiscal year and in our quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the most recent fiscal quarter. These documents and
others containing important disclosures are available on the SEC Filings section of the Investor Information section of our Web site.
Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other presentations, press releases or public statements are not currently available and may not be
delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make the purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.
Salesforce.com, inc. assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
What is the Heroku Connect?
Native bi-directional data sync service between
Salesforce and Heroku Postgres allowing you
to build salesforce.com-powered apps faster and
Makes Developers Happy!
• Knows how to build customer-facing web and
• Familiar with Heroku, Postgres and add-ons
• Uses standard open source stacks
• Already knows SQL
• Uses familiar tools and workflows
• Doesn’t need a deep understanding of how
Makes Salesforce Users Happy!
• Data is happy, safe & secure in Salesforce
• Ensure data integrity.
• Control & maintain business processes.
• Easier to find development resources.
No need to build an admin
interface for the web app.
Use the standard Salesforce
UI & save $$! Brilliant!
How does Heroku Connect work?
• Synchronizes data with standard or custom Salesforce objects
• Uses LastModifiedDate to detect changes to Salesforce objects and database
triggers for Postgres changes
• Only syncs modified columns
• Implements “last writer win”
• Does not support inflight transformations
• Does not automatically detect schema changes
Mapping Object & Tables
• Creates database tables & columns during
setup. Uses the same names as
Salesforce, except with all lower-case
• Each database table defines a native,
unique, auto-increment integer primary
key column named ‘id’
• The Salesforce Id field is renamed as ‘sfid’
in the database table
• Supports external ids for master-detail
relationship mapping (see docs)
• Salesforce modes: Read-only & Read/Write
• Utilizes SOAP, Bulk, and other batch
processes to optimize inbound Salesforce
records and minimize API calls.
• Sync modes:
• Every 2-60 minutes (10 minutes default)
• Drops to 3 minutes when in UI
– Evented (recommended)
• Uses Streaming API if available for object
• Still polls every 10 minutes
Estimate 300 API calls per day per bidirectional object
• Update mappings when you delete fields from Salesforce.
• Be careful when creating validation rules or required fields as inserts may fail.
• Connect to your org with a user with “View All Data” permissions or a SysAdmin
user if possible.
• Watch your API consumption for hungry tables. Dial-down sync time if possible.
• No record level permissions in Postgres so your app must implement them if
• If Heroku Connect stop syncing, try Restarting before reloading the object.
• No support for image or file sync so store them in S3 and sync the URL.
• Write to Postgres and Salesforce when real-time update necessary