Dimensional Model | Microsoft SharePoint Online 2013
Microsoft SharePoint Online High Level
Modelling and Detail Diagram representation
Name : Jeevan Theikkattu Kesavan
BUSINESS PROCESS IDENTIFICATION
This assignment is based on the Microsoft SharePoint Online environment. So the processes identified here are the
Internal Site of the organization referred to as “Site Collection” and the public facing website, referred
To as the “External Website”. Companies using SharePoint Online identify these as separate departments given the
size and volume of data handled. However there are a few attributes that are common to both which we will be
talking about in the upcoming slides. Primary focus here would be to store quality and relevant data which is well
Data in Microsoft SharePoint Online is stored in Lists and Libraries. This data can be accessed based on the
Permission level assigned to the user in question. The ‘Site Collection Administrator’ has the highest authority
Over a site collection. He/she decides on what permissions are needed to be assigned to users from different
Departments based on their job roles and data requirement.
Data for this assignment would be collected from individual Lists and Libraries which holds all the data required
For the functioning of the tenant. These data sources have a limitation of 5000 records per Library/List. This
Limitation is a result of considering the SQL Server efficiency where there is a lock in place that is temporarily
Escalated to the entire table. This simply means that we need to access multiple lists and libraries as far as this
Assignment is concerned.
HIGH LEVEL MODEL DIAGRAM
Created this High Level
Model Diagram using –
SITE COLLECTION DETAIL DIAGRAM
This Detail Diagram
was created using –
• The Fact table is easily differentiated with a gray background.
• There is a minimum of one Primary Key associated with each table.
• The Term Store Bridge is created to breakdown the many to many relationship between “Site collection Fact Table”
and “Term Store Management”. It has got two primary keys linking to both the above tables and an attribute
of its own.
The following shows the connection after the breakdown on the relationship.
• Then there is the User-generated Bridge which divides the entity into “Popularity and Search Reports” & “User
EXTERNAL SITE DETAIL DIAGRAM
This Detail Diagram
was created using –
• The Detail Diagram of the External Site is relatively simple as compared to that of the Site Collection Fact Table.
• The reason for it to be so, is because there can only be one External Website on the SharePoint tenant unlike
Site collections which can be more than one (only considering Enterprise version).
• This results in simple one to one or one to many relationships. There is no many to many relationships in this
• There are two fact tables in this model. One is for Site Collection and the other is for External Website.
• Foreign Keys as composite Primary keys have been taken into consideration.
• Efforts have been taken to avoid using ratios and percentages in the fact table.
• The dimensions for the Site Collection Detail Diagram are : Term Store Management, Sub-Site Creation, Version
History, Site Columns, Schema, Storage Metrics, Multi-Lingual Site Support, User Groups, Popularity and
Search Reports and User Alerts.
• The dimensions for the External Site Detail Diagram are : SEO Rendering, DNS Configuration, SEO Publishing,
Storage Metrics, Multi-Lingual Site Support, User Groups and User Alerts.
• Conformed Dimensions in this model would be - Storage Metrics, Multi-Lingual Site Support, User Groups
and User Alerts as they occur in both fact tables.
The Fundamental Grain is the instance of the site at the time of creation. The Fact Tables and attributes
make Sure that the final product (in this case the launch of the website) is personalized and as per the