R-Grants|A Tactical Approach.
• Writing well is an essential skill.
• Grantsmanship can be learned.
Strategy and Tactics
• Strategy = Overall game plan on how to meet your goals.
gy g p y g
• Tactics = Maneuvers you make during proposal writing in r
e response to contextual conditions.
Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics
without strategy is the noise before defeat. Sun Tzu
• Understand the review/funding landscape.
• D l “h h ” h h
• Develop “high-impact” research questions that intrigue.
• Find best-fit funding sources.
• Develop allies (Program officers, scientific collaborators and
local faculty mentors).
• Emphasize transdisciplinarity.
• Don’t rush to submit proposals.
• Plan the gathering of needed data and write manuscripts.
• Be aware of grant submission deadlines (Feb 5, June 5, Oct 5)
• Target a Study Section and research the reviewer panel.
• Understand the review and scoring criteria.
• Write to excite!
• F th “S ifi Ai ”
• Focus on the “Specific Aims” page.
• Don’t neglect your biosketch/personal statement.
• Follow the rules.