• What are the 4 essential function of
organizing products and services?
• What basic functions do managers do?
• What 10 critical decisions do managers make?
1. Marketing, Production/operations, Finance/accou
nting, Human Resources
2. Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Leading, Controlling
3. 10 critical decisions
Design of goods and services
Process and capacity design
Human resources and job design
Inventory, material requirements planning, and JIT
Intermediate and short–term scheduling
Fast Food Feast Case
• Visit at least two different fast-food restaurants that make
hamburgers. For example, McDonald's, Jollibee, Whoopee are good
choices. Observe the basic operational differences between these
stores. Note the differences in the following processes:
• How are in-store orders taken?
• Are the hamburgers prepared to order, or are they prepared ahead
of time and delivered from a storage bin?
• How are special orders handled?
• How are the hamburgers cooked?
• How are the hamburgers assembled?
• Is a microwave oven used in the process?
• How are other common items, such as french fries and