1 | P a g e Earth Science Syllabus Syllabus 2012-2013 2nd Trimester I. General InformationCourse Applied Science – Earth Name James Dunn Room C-‐10 Email email@example.com Website Address http://www.haikulearning.com/ Textbook Borrero, F. J., Hess, F. S., Hsu, J., Kunze, G., Leslie, S. A., Letro, S., ... Zike, D. (2008). Earth Science: Geology, the Environment, and the Universe. New York: Glencoe/McGraw-‐Hill II. Grading PoliciesYour Earth Science grade will be based on a variety of assignments including (but not limited to) homework, in-‐class assignments, labs, projects, quizzes, and a Final Exam. A. Grading Scale A 93 – 100 C 73 – 76 A-‐ 90 – 92 C-‐ 70 – 72 B+ 87 – 89 D+ 67 – 69 B 83 – 86 D 63 – 66 B-‐ 80 – 82 D-‐ 60 – 62 C+ 77 – 79 F <60 B. Final Exam This class culminates with a cumulative Final Exam between March 12th and March 14th. The exam is worth 14% of your overall grade for the course. The other 86% of your grade will come from all other assignments. C. Late Work Policy All assignments are expected to be turned in on their due date. Late work will be accepted at a 10% deduction per school day. For example, if an assignment is due on Thursday, but not turned in until the following Monday, the highest grade one could receive is 80% on that assignment.
2 | P a g e D. Cheating and Academic Dishonesty No forms of cheating will be tolerated and will result in a grade of zero for the assignment. This pertains to both the student copying the work and the student supplying the answers. Students are expected to turn in their own work. Work is not to be copied and pasted from a website, or done by another person (friends, parents, etc.). Any work that is misrepresented as being your own will result in a grade of zero. III. Classroom Expectations • You should be working on Earth Science class work or studying while in class. • Treat everyone with respect. No name-‐calling, harassment, or bullying will be tolerated. • Class will be dismissed when the bell rings. Please do not attempt to pack up or lineup before this time. • Come to class prepared every day. Passes will not be written for you to go to your locker. You will, of course, be permitted to use the restroom. • There will be times that you will be permitted to use your cell phone for instructional purposes. Please only use your cell phone with teacher permission. • All Clio High School and Clio Area Schools policies and procedures will also be enforced. • Other expectations will be added throughout the trimester at the discretion of the instructor. IV. Required Supplies • Spiral notebook (for taking notes) • Pens or pencils (required every day) • A folder (to store graded and ungraded work) • Textbook (required every day) • Other supplies may be required throughout the trimester at the discretion of the instructor. V. Course Schedule and SequenceThe schedule detailed below is an approximation of what we will cover this trimester, and when we will cover it. Use it as a guide, but understand that it is subject to change. Week 1 December 3 – 7 Topics Introduction to Earth Science, Scientific Method, Maps Chapters 1,2 Week 2 December 10 – 14 Topic Plate Tectonics Chapter 17
3 | P a g e Week 3 December 17 – 21 Topics Fossils, Geologic Time Chapters 21 – 23 Week 4 January 2 – 4 Topic Introduction to Earth’s Atmosphere Chapter 11 Week 5 January 7 – 11 Topics Meteorology, Storms Chapters 12, 13 Week 6 January 14 – 18 Topics Climate and Climate Change Chapter 14 Week 7 January 22 – 25 Topics Rocks and Minerals Chapters 4 – 6 Week 8 January 28 – February 1 Topics Volcanoes, Earthquakes, Mountains Chapters 18 – 20 Week 9 February 4 – 8 Topic Our Solar System Chapters 27, 28 Week 10 February 11 – 15 Topics Stars, Galaxies, the Universe Chapters 29, 30 Week 11 February 19 – 22 Topic Natural Resources Chapter 24
4 | P a g e Week 12 February 25 – March 1 Topic Energy Resources Chapter 25, 26 Week 13/14 March 4 – 14 Topics Review, Final Exam Chapter NA