Your average PC user
• He knows how to surf the web.
• He knows how to watch videos with his computer.
• He does his budgets in Excel.
• Write letters to his family using Word.
• Send and receive e-mail, using Outlook Express.
• Watch videos/DVDs and play music/MP3s.
• Play the games included in WinXP
• Never customized windows. Not even changed the default
• Never touched the control panel.
• Never used the command line.
• In choosing his pc
• In choosing his supplier
• Does not like freedom when it comes to the apps he uses
CALCULATOR, MY KINGDOM FOR A
• Windows users:
– Start – Programs – Accessories – Calculator
• Linux users:
– Multiple applications, different by distro
• Text edit
– Windows users: textedit
– Linux users: Kate, VIM, Emacs, Kjots, Knotes, Pico, Joe, …
An average user does not understand this
• Users don’t want to have to consult the manual to use his
• He doesn’t want to feel stupid when he opens his mail
• He simply wants to be able to turn his computer on, log on
to the Internet, write that mail, visit that website, write his
letters, play his videos, listen to his music.
• He doesn’t care if his software is perfect - after all, he has
been using Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, Word.
• He has also been infected by all sorts of spyware, trojans,
worms and viruses.
• He has a less average pc buddy to assist
WHAT ABOUT THE HANDHELD PC
WORLD = SMARTPHONES
Your average smartphone user
• Calls (99%)
• SMS (83%)
• Take pictures (47%)
• Install Apps (39%)
• Browse web (29%)
• Store and play music (28%)
• Email (22%)
• Social Media (21%)
The firm's My Mobile Lifestyle 2010 survey