JP-SEA ForeignRelationswith greater focus on JP-PH Relations
● After World War 2, Japan gave warreparations to the Southeast Asian region.This paved way to the return of diplomaticrelations of Japan with the SoutheastAsian countries.● Economic ties dominated JP-SEArelations with the exception of Cambodia,East Timor and Burma in 90s with theestablishment of comprehensive ties(security + economic ties)JP-SEA Relations
● However this relationship is beinglimited by the competition toinfluence with China andcompetition for identity with theUS● Economic○ the flying geese model■ where Japan is the leader goose● Creation of the Asian Monetary Fund○ But it was immediately abolishedsince it defeats the purpose of theIMF.
● Political● Japan did not have effective political tieswith SEA due to Indo-China anti-Japanese sentiments.● Fukuda Doctrine of 1977○ to advocate cultural relations and Japansnon-military role to reconstruct mutual trustamong countries.○ to forge a closer friendship between Japanand ASEAN and create a new rationale forinternational relations
● Official Development Assistance○ transaction between or among countries with the aim of promotingeconomic development and welfare of developing countries.○ ODA is divided into three types: loans, grants, and technicalassistance.● Japan has been the top donor country to thePhilippines for many years.● The Philippines is the fourth largest recipient of ODAwith donations amounting to USD20.560B from 1968-2008.JP-PH ODA
● This includes exchange programs, studyprograms/scholarships, training, andcultural grant aid.● Many Filipinos have participated and arecurrently participating in these programs.● Such programs are Kizuna (Bond)Project, JENESYS Programme, JETProgram, SSEAYP, JapaneseScholarship Program and Japan StudyProgram.Cultural Exchanges
● Other events the promote JP-PHRelations are the JP-PH FriendshipMonth and Hello! Japan.● Cosplay events, singing contests, anime-manga workshop, movie screening andother cultural art of Japan are presented.● JP-PH Friendship Month is celebratedevery July.Cultural Exchanges
● JP-PH Economic Partnership Agreement(JPEPA)○ signed in 2006 in Helsinki by PM Koizumiand President Arroyo.○ a framework designed for enhancing thebilateral economic relations of JP and PH○ The PHs first Free Trade Agreement (FTA)○ controversial due to:■ difficult standards for JPEPA nurses■ overfishing in Philippine waters■ dumping of toxic wastesEconomics