• Founding Partner of Dear Media
• Active in interactive since 1993 (Dear Media, ONE Agency,
theOriginals, tvAgency, xCA, The Reference, ...)
• Not a Digital Native
Not a Digital Immigrant, but a Digital Architect
(for the personal stuff)
(for the boring stuff)
(to get in my stream)
(we might even become friends ;-)
• Become fan of Dear Media on www.facebook.com/
dearmedia and get the daily social media news in your
woensdag 31 maart 2010 5
What’s the real purpose of media?
• To put it bluntly: media only exist as a means of transportation
• To bring messages across
• from advertisers to consumers
• from lobbyists to masses
• from governments to citizens
• from ... to ...
• It is ...
• ... not the advertising ﬁlling the space between content
• ... the content (news, entertainment, fun, ...) that is ﬁlling the space between intelligently
engineered and smartly crafted messages
• In order to keep this model alive, media HAVE to function top-down, in a highly controlled
world full of gatekeepers
• What if this models breaks down?
woensdag 31 maart 2010 7
To get this started...
• Who is using? • Who is using?
• Twitter • a Blackberry
• Facebook, Netlog, ... • an iPhone (2G, 3G, 3Gs)
• LinkedIn, Plaxo • a Google Phone
• Email • an Android
• Google Wave • a Nokia, Samsung, Sony
• Augmented Reality
woensdag 31 maart 2010 8
The World We Live In Today ...
woensdag 31 maart 2010 9
The Flower is the (potential) social
The mainstream media are the
smell of the ﬂower
The bee is “spreading the word”
and has the real power
Level I: Sites, blogs, feeds, widgets
Level II: Closed networks (Facebook, Netlog, ...)
Level III: Through individuals (e-mail, Twitter, ...)
woensdag 31 maart 2010 15
Social Objects: content, media,
the dynamics of services, ...
social objects for Text, Pictures,Video, Blogs,
Twitter Tweets, Live feeds, Geo-data,
TOP-DOWN (central ownership)
Sharing (STAF, STAN)
Youtube, FlickR, ...
Twitter, Facebook, ...
woensdag 31 maart 2010 16
A broad social
woensdag 31 maart 2010 17
• 140 characters
• Short-form status updates
• Asynchronous model (you
follow me, I don’t follow you)
• Connecting people instantly,
the live web
• Increasingly shifting from
nonsense to value
• More a niche product
compared to e.g. Facebook
(and will probably stay that
woensdag 31 maart 2010 19
woensdag 31 maart 2010 30
“Get Into The Stream”
(freely after Madonna)
woensdag 31 maart 2010 31
woensdag 31 maart 2010 32
Destination versus a Stream
woensdag 31 maart 2010 33
•The traditional way of thinking
•“Come to us, we will show you”
•They are in control of:
presentation, comments, ...
•They used to be closed and afraid
to share ...
woensdag 31 maart 2010 34
• The new paradigm: status
updates create the “live web”
• It comes to you, depending on
who/what you want to follow
• Driven by Twitter, Facebook,
Google Reader, ...
• Filtered by yourself, allowing
your peers to be your gatekeeper
• Open, open, open, ...
woensdag 31 maart 2010 35
The power of “The Stream”
woensdag 31 maart 2010 36
The power of “The Stream”
woensdag 31 maart 2010 37
Top-down, using Twitter
as just another broadcast
woensdag 31 maart 2010 38
Bottom-up, creating a
new power-balance. The
network as the new
woensdag 31 maart 2010 39
People don’t create news, they
share the news of the publishers
The network is the gatekeeper
woensdag 31 maart 2010 40
The new rules for media:
being a destination and being in The Stream
SMS Twitter Radio (Facebook) Site, paper, TV E-zine Magazine Site
instant, semi-instant, regularly often (12h) news, 24h news + insights, archive, long-tail
breaking news breaking news breaking what’s insights, 1w reports, 1w/
(important) (important or news happening 1m
not) around you?
• Build GOOD destination sites (because that is • Allow others to share and (re)distribute your
where people eventually will still “land”) headlines (and link them to your own site)
• Get into the stream of your audience: create a • Be open, open, open, ... and have a solution for
social media delivery strategy (a central plan each step in the stream
and decentralized execution: everyone needs to
go social), but remember: it’s about connecting
people to people!
woensdag 31 maart 2010 41
follow me for breaking media innovation news ;-)
woensdag 31 maart 2010 42