Art How to use them to create good design
• Anybody can draw a picture or take a photo or
make a video or act, right?
• Anybody can put images and text together to
make a graphic design, too.
• It is the way those images and text are put
together that distinguishes a good design from
an ordinary one.
• The design or arrangement of the parts in any
space, two or three dimensions.
Elements of Art
• Shapes that have, or seem to have, depth or volume as well
as length and width.
• Shading, shadow, texture or a gradation of tones help to
create 3D form in a 2D work of art or design.
• Form is a three-dimensional area enclosed by a surface.
• The empty or open areas around or within
a work of art.
• Essential in any design, space can be large,
compact, empty, full, flat, or airy depending
on how it has been filled or divided.
• The two dimensional or three dimensional
area into which all other elements of design
• Space relationships can create illusions of
depth or of foreground and background.
• Empty space is also called open, unbroken,
plain, or blank while filled space is closed.
The objects, elements, or images in the composition
The space around objects
in a composition
The way a surface feel or
appears to feel.
• Texture appeals to the sense of
touch, sight and hearing and thus
the function of texture in an overall
design is key.
• Texture interaction with light
according to degree of smoothness
a) Refraction, absorption, reflection
b) Transparent = refraction
c) Translucent = refraction and
d) Opaque = absorption