BIOCHEM
BASICS
THE CHEMICAL CONTEXT OF LIFE
OUTLINE
Matter: Elements and Compounds
Atoms and their structure
Bonding
Chemical Reactions
IT’S ALL
MATTER
ELEMENT
Substance the cannot be
broken down into other
substances.
28 man-made elements
+ possibly 6 more
COMPOUNDS
ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS
Twenty-five essential to life
Four make up 96% of ALL living
matter
• N O C H
Remaining 4% calcium, pho...
TRACE ELEMENTS
UP AND
ATOM!
SUBATOMIC PARTICLES
DaltonsAtomic NumberAtomic Mass
ISOTOPES
Elements with the
same number of
protons, but a
different number
of neutrons.
ISOTOPES USED IN:
Dating fossils.
Tracing atoms.
Diagnostics.
ENERGY LEVELS OF ELECTRONS
ELECTRON DISTRIBUTION
Valence electrons/shell
Inert
ELECTRON ORBITALS
Three-dimensional space where
an electron is found 90% of the
time.
BONDING
Covalent
Sharing of valence electrons
POLAR AND NONPOLAR
COVALENT BONDS
Unequal sharing
IONIC BONDS
IONIC BONDS
IONIC COMPOUNDS - SALTS
WEAK BONDS
Hydrogen bonds
Van de Waal
interactions
HYDROGEN BONDS
VAN DER WAALS INTERACTIONS
Unequally distributed molecules that
form “hot spots” of positive or
negative charge.
CHEMICAL
REACTION
MAKING AND BREAKING
BONDS
Honors Biology - Atoms
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Honors Biology - Atoms

928 views

Published on

Published in: Education, Technology
0 Comments
1 Like
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
928
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
13
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
13
Comments
0
Likes
1
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Honors Biology - Atoms

  1. 1. BIOCHEM BASICS THE CHEMICAL CONTEXT OF LIFE
  2. 2. OUTLINE Matter: Elements and Compounds Atoms and their structure Bonding Chemical Reactions
  3. 3. IT’S ALL MATTER
  4. 4. ELEMENT Substance the cannot be broken down into other substances. 28 man-made elements + possibly 6 more
  5. 5. COMPOUNDS
  6. 6. ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS Twenty-five essential to life Four make up 96% of ALL living matter • N O C H Remaining 4% calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and sulfur
  7. 7. TRACE ELEMENTS
  8. 8. UP AND ATOM!
  9. 9. SUBATOMIC PARTICLES DaltonsAtomic NumberAtomic Mass
  10. 10. ISOTOPES Elements with the same number of protons, but a different number of neutrons.
  11. 11. ISOTOPES USED IN: Dating fossils. Tracing atoms. Diagnostics.
  12. 12. ENERGY LEVELS OF ELECTRONS
  13. 13. ELECTRON DISTRIBUTION Valence electrons/shell Inert
  14. 14. ELECTRON ORBITALS Three-dimensional space where an electron is found 90% of the time.
  15. 15. BONDING
  16. 16. Covalent Sharing of valence electrons
  17. 17. POLAR AND NONPOLAR COVALENT BONDS Unequal sharing
  18. 18. IONIC BONDS
  19. 19. IONIC BONDS
  20. 20. IONIC COMPOUNDS - SALTS
  21. 21. WEAK BONDS Hydrogen bonds Van de Waal interactions
  22. 22. HYDROGEN BONDS
  23. 23. VAN DER WAALS INTERACTIONS Unequally distributed molecules that form “hot spots” of positive or negative charge.
  24. 24. CHEMICAL REACTION
  25. 25. MAKING AND BREAKING BONDS

×