Title: The Leader’s Voice
Author: Boyd Clarke, Ron Crossland
Year Published: 2002
Reviewer: DHARIN B. JAYSWAL
About the Authors
• Boyd Clarke and Ron Crossland have been
business partners and friends for nearly 20 years.
• Before becoming CEO and vice chair of
tompeterscompany!, they founded International
• Senior leaders from organizations such as
LensCrafters, Arby's, Motorola, and Sun
Microsystems have relied on their expertise in
leadership, organizational change, and
OTHER BOOKS BY AUTHERS
• Voice lessons :
(Applying science to the art of leadership
• Leadership experience:
(From individual success to organizational
• The Leader's Voice - a powerful development
concept for leaders, to be remembered for
their authenticity, strength of character and
the power of their voice.
“It is simply impossible to become a great leader
without being a great communicator.”
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. The Leader's Voice
2. Hardwired for Facts, Emotions, and Symbols
3. How TNT Found Drama
4. People Love Facts
5. The Emotional Channe
6. Symbols: Rabbit's Foot and Rosary
7. The Sound of Silos
8. Without Wax
9. Climbing the Ladder of Abstraction
Last Word: Calling All Capitalists
• Who am I as a leader ?
• What motivates me to lead ?
• What is our brand identity ?
• How do I create more meaningful conversation ?
• What are the requirements of leaders
now a days ?
Answer the que. & you will have the place to stand…..
THE LEADER'S VOICE
• Story of Golda Meir
A woman born in poverty in1898.
Held key position in Jewish Agency.
World war 2…. Needed $ 5million
Collected $50 million by giving inspirative
speech in united nations.
• Led India to
across the world.
Four fatal assumptions
what was communicated…
• Constituents will take appropriate ACTIONS…
• To overcome these assumptions,
Use 3 ESSENTIAL CHANNELS to convey
important leadership message…
Story of LensCrafters
• Leading store of glasses…
• Felt loss of spirit…
• Celebrated 10th anniversary by giving the gift
of sight to those who need them the most.
• They served 2million underprivilege people in
united states & 25 developing countries
around the WORLD…..!!!
• Associates Felt change… !!!
CHALLENGES FOR THE LEADERS
• Some will judge you unfairly…
• Blaming you for their lack of success…
• Expect resources you can not give…
• Ask the answers that you don’t have..
• Ask for the permission you can not grant…
“If you choose to lead ,
prepare to take stand.”
The brain functioned like a car’s
radiator, cooling the blood to prevent the
heart from overheating….!!!
• Human brain is engineered to send, receive &
evaluate using facts, emotion & symbols.
• By not using these the leaders leave out
essential ingredients that stimulate and
promote the transfer of mean & quality
Scintillating stories alone work like
Detailed data along works like ‘CHLOROFORM’.
HOW TNT FOUND DRAMA
• Tv Channel that makes one think & feel.
• TNT needed to position itself as 100%
• Great success story..
• Audience grew from 17 million to
• Turned into channel of drama.
• WCW (fighting programme) launched &
became top rated show.
• CEO suggested to drop it… & TNT dropped it.
• No another network will cancel its TOP- RATED
show…!! Bt TNT did it…
• Became no. one destination for drama…!!!
• Moral – true decision making at right time
PEOPLE LOVE FACTS
• Facts include
PEOPLE LOVE FACTS
1. Make facts memorable
exp- Acre is about size of football field
-Gigabyte of inf. is about size of
thousand avg. length novels.
Use pictures, colours, story.
worth thousand words.”
PEOPLE LOVE FACTS
2. Display facts
Use charts, tables, colours,… etc.