• Google News rates how “trusted” a news source is based on
clickthrough data on its stories — another reason to create
catchy headlines — but those trust levels are topic specific, so a
newspaper could be more trusted as a source on some stories
than on others.
• It can detect phrases like “the Los Angeles Times reported” in
wire stories and promote the original L.A. Times piece among
the many other versions of the story.
• While commentary and satire pieces are welcome inside Google
News, they aren’t allowed to be the lead story on a given news
subject — that’s a spot reserved for a hard-news story.
• Google News favors JPEGs over PNGs when selecting the
pictures that go next to stories. Videos hosted on YouTube (which
Google just happens to own) get a boost over videos hosted
elsewhere. And you’re better off having at least three digits in
the URLs of your stories.
• PageRank — the engine behind Google’s main search results —
is used only “delicately” in Google News.
• Use Google News Submission form to submit your website/news.
• Before filling it out, have some fresh content on your site. Do not
report on existing news; try to have original unique content.
• Google news looks for mentions of your news items. Mentions
show credibility. Terms like “reported by,” “source,” etc. in other
press items help in gaining news rank.
First few weeks
• After submitting your website, keep your content fresh for a few
weeks. Google news is very picky. They do not want to include
sites which do not have fresh content posted.
• Set up a news site map – a specific format only for Google. Have
time stamp, key phrases etc. If you do not have site map, have a
three digit number in the URL. Yoast.com is a company that can
help create news sitemaps.
• If you make any changes to the site, let Google news know about
• Do not have huge blocks of HTML in your body text. Google bots
stop crawling the story content.
• Use h1 and h2 tags. Make sure to get your keyword tags in h1
and a portion in h2. Do not use too many h1 and h2. One h1 and
may be two h2 should be good.
• Get important keyword in title twice
• Google news recommends press releases in different folder.
• Images: Google like 4:3 images. Larger images are preferred
rather than small images.
• Canonical Tag – Google news typically ignore that.
Key Factors of Success
• Popularity, authority and relevancy are some key milestones to
remember while writing news. Here are few steps to remember:
Relevancy – on page, off page etc. Headline, Subhead. Be more
relevant rather than using adjectives. On page relevancy makes
a difference: “Hudson River Plane Crash” headline is direct and
• Use Google keyword research tool – while writing press releases.
• Try changing from photos to pictures while writing. People are
looking for pictures more than photos.
“Link building” is like syndication
• Other News Aggregators
– Mashable / blogs (build relationships)
• “Citation like”
Keeping current keywords
• Google Trend – Update every hour. Use for list of top search
terms, powerful for breaking news, historical top terms by date,
focus on longer tail.
• Google Insight for search is good for hyperlocal search such as
what are people looking for in that geographical area which
might be newsworthy.
• “Phrase Requires Freshness” as a concept.