ScrumBan : Best of Both worlds
A Fertile Hybrid by using Scrum & Kanban
Agile Coach &
Speaker, Blogger &
● Application of Kanban method with scrum support.
● Applying Kanban together with Scrum concepts.
● Highly influenced by Kanban Model of Work.
So.... Need to understand Scrum & Kanban for
When to Use Scrumban
● Production Support/ Maintenance
● Helpdesk Support
● Projects with frequent requirement changes
● Work like System integration packaging or
Those who want to practise Agile & Lean :)4
Kanban - History
● In 1940s, Toyota Production System under the
leadership of Taichii Ohno came up with better
engineering process for “Just In Time” delivery process
● KANBAN is a Japanese term meaning visual signal
or card. Toyota engineers use the same for actual
manufacturing work. Image Source : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiichi_Ohno
Kanban journey to Software World
● A community was formed around 2007
with David J Anderson and few others
as main stakeholders.
● Kanban today has its own success story
to share in software world.
Image Source : David J Anderson Twitter Handle
Why Visual Signal is important?
● Human brain processes visual information
almost 60,000 times faster than textual
● Almost 40% of all nerve fibers connected to
brain linked to retina
3 Core Properties of KANBAN
1. Visualize the workflow
2. Limit Work in Progress
3. Measure & Manage Work Flow ( Lead time /
1. Visualize the workflow
● Make the Work & its flow
● How: Split in such a way so
that it can be written on a
postcard size paper
2. Limit Work In Progress (WIP)
● Each column in kanban represents
● Each workflow state is assigned an explicit
○ This limit is deduced by historical data / Availability
basis - Improve Transparency
● Lead Time:
○ Time it takes from Requirement state to Done State. i.e it
starts even before it comes to ToDo state.
● Cycle Time:
○ Time it takes from ToDo to Done State.
● The basic idea is to optimize the process so that the lead time
Measure the Cycle Time / Lead time :
Each WorkFlow state also has D0D
(Definition of Done)
The DoD is not applicable for First & Last state i.e ToDo & Done
Advantages of Kanban
● Flow visibility
● Flow control
● Easy bottleneck identification
● Visible resource engagement
● Reduced need inventory storage.
● Reduced waste and scrap
● Total low cost
A fertile hybrid of Kanban & Scrum
Lets Do ScrumBan
Taking Kanban As base reference
Step-1 : Start with a Kanban Board and add
Product Backlog to it
The Product Backlog for Scrumban
● Product backlog of Scrumban is similar to that of Scrum and can be owned
by a Product Owner.
● There is no (WIP) work in progress limit for Product Backlog. Let it come
● Can be prioritized, can be written in the form of User Stories/ Task
● Estimations can be done in Story Points / Man hours / T-shirt size of
Release Planning : Release Product
● Use Product Backlog for Release Planning
● Planning should be done for upcoming
● Appropriate duration should be around 3 (+-
Scrumban: Release Product Backlog to
TODO list via small planning session
Planning On Demand
● No Sprint planning is done to bring the items from Release Product
Backlog to TODO list.
● Based on the capacity of TODO list, the items from Release Product
Backlog will move to TODO list based on
○ Product Owner Choice
○ Business requirements
○ Technical Requirements
● Of course a small planning is required :) but it's not as elaborate as Sprint
Scrumban: Flow of work items based
Scrumban: TODO list is Getting Empty
: Call For Planning
Scrumban: Priority Changed.. Do Planning
Again and change ToDo list Item
Scrumban: Having items in Done..Do
33 - 50% time spent already Spent : Prune
Release Product Backlog
● Remove items which cannot be done in this release.
66 - 75% time spent already Spent : Feature
Freeze and start of Release Stabilization
● Post feature freeze, team shall not take any new items even if it’s there in
ToDo list. The remaining item should go back to Product Backlog.
● Only stabilization related changes shall be allowed at this stage
● The Scrumban board shall be converted in Stabilization Board
● Stabilization board may or may not have WIP limit. All team memebers are
working towards same goal