12) Environment friendly guest supplies and stationery
14) Facts file of Ecotel in India.
15) Facts file and overview of The Five-Globe &
Five star Five-Globe hotels in the world.
16) Scoring Criteria for hotels in Five-Globe
17) Benefits of ECOTEL Membership.
>> ECOTEL® was developed by HVS
(Hospitality Valuation Services) in
association with the Rocky Mountain
Institute, USA with the help of engineering
and hospitality experts.
>> Conceptualized in 1994 by HVS - the
world’s leading consulting and services
organization focused on the hotel,
restaurant, shared ownership, gaming, and
>> ECOTEL program, initially headed out of HVS’s New York
office, was very well received when it started and more than 30
hotels in the USA, South America and Japan became members.
Over time, the program shifted its base to India where it has
seen steady growth.
>> In 1994 when the New York Vista Hotel re-opened as the
world's first Ecotel certified hotel after the bombing of the
World Trade Center.
>> Since then over 1100 hotels, resorts and inns have applied
(but not qualified) for the certification.
>> Currently, there are only 34 Ecotel hotels in the world, out of
which only 3 are 5-star hotels with the 5-globe certification.
>> ECOTEL's mission is "to enable hotels to achieve a
strategic and economic advantage through
environment-friendly operations, systems and
processes while positively impacting their local
>> ECOTEL aims to do this through its certification
and training workshops, which empower hotel
>> Vision-ECOTEL assists hotels in setting standards
in environmental best practices, which in turn helps
them cut back on operating costs and increases
their overall competitiveness.
I PLEDGE TO PROTECT AND ENHANCE THE
INCLUDING ALL ITS RESOURCES BY
ENCOURAGING AND IMPLEMENTING THE
CONCEPT OF REDUCE, REUSE AND RECYCLE.
I WILL MANAGE MY SHARE OF RESOURCES
WITH MAXIMUM EFFICIENY.
I PLEDGE TO FORM EDUCATED OPINION
AND TO MAKE RESPONSIBLE CHOICES.
I PLEDGE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
1) Concept Hospitality Pvt. Ltd. has entered into a
MOU with HVS Eco Services (the certifying agency
for environmentally sensitive hotels) to facilitate
growth of Ecotels in Asia and particularly India.
2) Ecotel is the `Hallmark of Environmentally
3) Concept Hospitality Pvt. Ltd operationalizes the
certification and markets the brand.
4) All Ecotel certified hotels must pass a detailed
inspection and satisfy stringent criteria set by
The Ecotel Certification is based on five
areas of environmentalism, each of which is
designated by a Globe award. These five
areas are referred to as the ‘cornerstones of
environmental responsibility’ or simply as
‘Globes’. These Globes are:
1) Energy Conservation
2) Water Conservation
3) Solid Waste Management
4) Employee Environmental Education
5) Environmental Commitment
Evaluates how involved the employees are in the
efforts of the hotel to contribute towards the
The hotel should have training modules in place
for employees at all levels to familiarize them
with the eco-friendly initiatives of the hotel.
A hotel’s community awareness and outreach
effort is a good barometer of its environmental
commitment. And the success of these efforts is
driven by employees’ belief in their hotel’s
1) The hotel/ resort/ inn must demonstrate the
existence of a formalized commitment towards the
preservation and enhancement of the natural
2) It must, through all operations, activities and written
statements, communicate its commitment to the
environment. For e.g. the mission statement of the
hotel/ resort must mention its environmental
3) Additionally, every hotel should have a green team
headed by a member of the top management
ensuring that all departments are working in
consonance with the hotel’s mission of environmental
1) Segregation of wet & dry
garbage should be adopted
for recycling, reusing, and
2) Provide recycle baskets for
newspaper, glass, white
paper, cardboard, plastic
etc. in guestrooms- make
recycling as easy as
Environment friendly guest
supplies and stationery
1) All guest supplies- soaps, shampoos, and
foaming bath liquids should be
2) Buy guest products that contain recycled
3) Replace paper hand-towels with air dryers in
4) For guest stationary, use recycled paper
1) Water from laundry can be treated & used
for watering plants.
2)Linen should be made up of organically
3) Biodegradable detergents should be used.
4) Employees should switch off lights and fans
etc that are not in use.
5)Use non-toxic cleaners, sanitizers, paints,
pesticides and so on throughout the hotel.
1) The Orchid, Mumbai,
2) The Quilon Beach, Kerala,
3) Ceebros Raintree, Chennai,
4) Hotel Gautam, Mahabaleshwar,
5) Hotel Laguna, Lonavla and
6) The Fern, Jaipur, Ahmedabad
1. Miraval, Arizona (this was the first certified
five-globe Ecotel in the world)
2. Hilton Tokyo Bay, Japan
3. The Benjamin, USA
4. Arco Iris, Costa Rica
5. Lapo Rios,Costa Rica
1. Hilton Tokyo Bay, Japan
2. The Benjamin, USA etc..
An Ecotel Hotel in Mumbai
is Asia's first certified ecofriendly five-star hotel. This
372- room hotel is
adjacent to the domestic
airport making it a
convenient place for the
business traveler to stay.
The Lagoona Resort Hotel
in Lonavala, your exclusive
paradise in Lonavala!!!!
Located within a 10 minutes
drive from the Lonavala
Railway Station and the
Mumbai Pune Express way.
1) The Raintree Hotels in the city
center of Chennai, India are South
India’s first eco-sensitive hotels
committed to providing trained
staff and innovative, eco-conscious
accommodations and services.
2) The Raintree strives to conserve
natural resources and raise
awareness of the importance of
while simultaneously redefining
the meaning of eco-friendly travel.
An Ecotel hotel (Three
star Hotel) in
The inspection for each globe involves three
levels of criteria and scoringPrimary,
1)Hotels applying for certification must satisfy the
primary criterion before an inspection is
2)Once it is evident that all the primary criterion
have been satisfied, inspections – unannounced
as well as guided by the hotel staff - are
conducted throughout the lodging facility.
3)Each functional area of the hotel (i.e. main
restaurant kitchen, banquet kitchen, kitchen,
front desk and office area, executive office
areas, etc.) is inspected and scored individually.
4) If any department scores below that level, but
above a minimum threshold, the tertiary
criterion can boost that department's score so
that the hotel becomes eligible for the
5) The tertiary criterion is simply described as a
6) The hotel receives bonus points for
environmental programs discovered in
operation (Tertiary Criteria) e.g. ‘green button’
in The Orchid, New Delhi (This program helps
in energy conservation).
7) Hotels that are awarded one or more globes
qualify as Ecotel certified hotels for a period of two
years, but have to agree to re-inspections
(announced and unannounced) at any time during
8) If the hotel falls short of achieving the certified
status, the Hospitality Valuation Services (HVS)
International inspection team prepares an action
plan to help the management make the necessary
changes and prepare for re-inspection.
1) Improves/ Increases exposure in the
2) Higher staff morale.
3) Better control of operating expenses.
4) The Ecotel collection of hotels caters to a
variety of groups including traditional ecotourists, discerning business travelers etc.
It is a very worthy step
from the hospitality
industry towards our
environment, earth and
health. It has various
positive points for our
society as well.