• Numerous types of test are used
• There are different ways of
categorizing test namely: ease of
quantification in response, mode
of preparation, mode of
administration, test constructor,
mode of interpreting results and
nature of response.
As to mode of response, test can either
be oral, written or performance.
• Oral test- It is a test wherein the test
taker gives his answer orally.
• Written test- it is a test where answers to
questions are written by the test taker.
• Performance test- it is one which the test
taker creates an answer or a product that
demonstrates his knowledge or skill, as in
cooking and baking.
As to ease of quantification of
response, test can either be objective or
• Objective test- it is a test paper and
pencil test wherein students’ answers
can be compared and quantified to yield
a numerical score. This is because it
requires convergent and specific
• Subjective test- It is a paper-and-
pencil test which is not easily
quantified as students are given the
freedom to write their answer to a
question, such as an essay test.
Thus, the answer to this type of test
As to mode of administration, tests
can either be individual or group
• Individual test- It is a test
administered to one student at a
• Group test- It is one administered
to a group of students.
As to test constructor, tests ca be
classified into standardized and
• Standardized Test- It is a test
prepared by an expert or
specialist. This type of test
samples behavior under uniform
• Questions are administered to
students with the same
directions and time limits.
Results in this kind of test are
scored following a detailed
procedure based on its manual
and interpreted specified norms
•Unstandardized test- it is
one prepared by teachers for use
in the classroom, with no
established norms for scoring
and interpretation of results. It is
constructed by a classroom
teacher to meet a particular
As to mode of interpreting results,
tests can either be norm-referenced or
• Norm-referenced test- it is a test
that evaluates a student’s
performance by comparing it to
performance of a group of students
on tha same test.
• Criterion-referenced test- it is
test that measures a student’s
performance against an agreed
upon or pre-established level of