Any member of the Arabic-speaking peoples native to the Middle
East and North Africa. Many Arabs are Muslims (followers of
Islam), but some are also followers of Christianity.
• First arrived in Egypt in the late 600 AD
and spread across northern Africa all the
way to Morocco.
• They later spread to the Sahel region and
along the eastern coast (Kenya,
Mozambique Tanzania and Zanzibar).
• They make up the majority of the people
along the Mediterranean Sea and the East
• The majority are Muslim however a few
• People of West Africa near
Ghana, Ivory Coast, and
• Ashanti ethnic group mostly
have traditional beliefs.
An Asante chief
wearing silk cloth and
• The symbol of Ashanti unity is the Golden
Stool which was produced from the
heavens and given to the first King. It is
so sacred that not even kings were
allowed to sit on it.
• The traditional religion is centered on a
belief in a supreme god (Nayme)
• His many children represent all the natural
powers and forces of the world.
• They believe in supernatural powers,
ancestors are given great respect, and
they have many family rituals.
• There are also many
Christians in this ethnic
group, which was
introduced by the European
and American missionaries.
• There is also a growing
number of Muslims.
One of the original
ethnic groups in
Africa that was part
of the largest
migration of people
on the continent
thousands of years
• Bantu were farmers and animal herders and iron
• They spread south and east following the rivers
• There is over 60 million people in central and
southern Africa who speak Bantu based
language and share some of the culture.
• There is a strong Muslim presence and some
• There is still followers of the Traditional belief
(animist) believing spirits are found in natural
objects and surroundings. (rocks, trees,
•The Swahili people
live on the east coast of
Africa from Somalia to
• Many Swahili people are Muslims (believe in
Islam) after Arabs brought the religion from
Arabia when trading.
• However, they also mix in some traditional
beliefs with their Islamic beliefs.
• They believe that there are spirits that can
possess a person.
• Herbal medicines are often given along with
prescribed prayers and ritual for a cure.
• The Swahili language is a mixture between
Bantu and Arabic.
• Most live in cities today and many make a living
through fishing and trading.