Name ________________ ClassColor___________
DOROFY / GORDON
BLIND CONTOUR DIRECTIONS
(1) CREATE: 5 blind contour portrait drawings of peers in
(2) Using these guidelines, select the 2 most successful
SUCCESSFUL DRAWINGS MUST HAVE:
a. As much detail as possible = CLOSED IN SHAPES.
b. Filled the page.
“WHAT IF YOUR DRAWINGS DON’T MEET THESE GUIDELINES?” YOU ASK:
c. Quickly complete another blind contour drawing of a peer or an object
and this time fill the space.
(3) PARTICIPATE: Watch a watercolor/inking demonstration given by Mr.
(4) PRACTICE: On the test paper, practice making at least:
10 tints of one color
10 tones of one color
(5) APPLY: Using the techniques demonstrated apply your knowledge of tints,
tones, and shades into your blind contour drawings.
a. PREPARE YOUR SURFACE: Tape down your drawing to the
provided cardboard to prevent wrinkling of your paper
b. PAY ATTENTION: to the colors you are applying. You MUST have
TWO faces that have DIFFERENT color applications on them
PAINTING # 1: Portrait will be filled with Tints and Shades of ONE color
a. Choose one color: ____________________
b. Fill artwork 75% - do not add color to the entire image.
c. Use at least 5 tints of your color.
d. Use at least 5 shades of your color.
e. Remember Craftsmanship!!
PAINTING # 2: Portrait will be filled with as many different Tones as
f. Choose one color: ________________
g. Color’s Complement ___________________
h. Fill artwork 75% - do not add color to the entire image.
i. Tones only.
j. Use at least 10 tones of your color.
k. Remember Craftsmanship!!
(6) INKING:Carefully Ink over all of your pencil lines with a FINE point sharpie
a. Paint must be 100% dry before you ink.
b. Remember Craftsmanship!
(7) CROP 7 MAT:
a. Carefully trim your composition using a paper cutter as shown
in the demo.
b. Mat your work on the black railroad board provided.
c. MAKE SURE YOUR PUT YOUR NAME ON BOTH ARTWORKS