Here are some opinions fromHere are some opinions from
• Poetry is the most emotionally charged writtenPoetry is the most emotionally charged written
expression and it consists ofexpression and it consists of words arranged inwords arranged in
patterns of soundpatterns of sound andand imagery to spark animagery to spark an
emotional, and intellectual, responseemotional, and intellectual, response the readerthe reader
• Poetry is thePoetry is the language of the imaginationlanguage of the imagination , of, of
feelingsfeelings, of, of emotional self-expressionemotional self-expression , of, of high arthigh art..
• The language in poetry isThe language in poetry is musicalmusical,, preciseprecise, ,
memorablememorable, and, and magicalmagical..
Why do people write poems?Why do people write poems?
• To express emotionTo express emotion
(happiness, sadness,(happiness, sadness,
• To express humorTo express humor
• To send a messageTo send a message
• To quickly express anTo quickly express an
There are many types of poemsThere are many types of poems
Today, we will be looking at…Today, we will be looking at…
CinquainCinquain poemspoems havehave 5 lines5 lines
Line 1 is one word (the title)
Line 2 is two words that describe the title.
Line 3 is three words that tell the action
Line 4 is four words that express the feeling
Line 5 is one word that recalls the title
Cinquain Poem ExampleCinquain Poem Example
Strong, TallStrong, Tall
Swaying, swinging, sighingSwaying, swinging, sighing
Memories of summerMemories of summer
Clerihew Poems are funnyClerihew Poems are funny
poems you write aboutpoems you write about
specific peoplespecific people
Clerihews have just a few simple rules:Clerihews have just a few simple rules:
• They are four lines long.They are four lines long.
• The first and second lines rhyme with each other, andThe first and second lines rhyme with each other, and
the third and fourth lines rhyme with each other.the third and fourth lines rhyme with each other.
• The first line names a person, and the second line endsThe first line names a person, and the second line ends
with something that rhymes with the name of the person.with something that rhymes with the name of the person.
• A clerihew should be funny.A clerihew should be funny.
Clerihew Poem ExampleClerihew Poem Example
Our art teacher, Mr. Shaw,Our art teacher, Mr. Shaw,
Really knows how to draw.Really knows how to draw.
But his awful paintingsBut his awful paintings
Have caused many faintings.Have caused many faintings.
Acrostic Poems are the simplestAcrostic Poems are the simplest
to create. The key to writing anto create. The key to writing an
acrostic is to spell out wordsacrostic is to spell out words
using the first letter of each lineusing the first letter of each line
of poetry.of poetry.
by Kaitlyn Guenther
S o many flowers are blooming.
P etite little squirrels come out to play.
R eally big bears awake from their slumbers.
I maginative children enjoy a walk with their friends.
N o tree is left standing without any leaves. So
Go ahead, jump for joy because spring is here.
Acrostic Poem ExampleAcrostic Poem Example
There are also simpler acrosticThere are also simpler acrostic
poems that just use one word forpoems that just use one word for
each line of the poem.each line of the poem.
Let’s see an example…Let’s see an example…
Best BudsBest Buds
By Sam LeightonBy Sam Leighton
Do not exclude
Let’s try it!!Let’s try it!!
Let’s write some poetry!!! WithinLet’s write some poetry!!! Within
your groups pick a style andyour groups pick a style and
go for it!!go for it!!