Be the first to like this
1. In the Footsteps ofWilhelm Jarchow
2. Our ancestor, Wilhelm Jarchow, emigrated from Prussia (a region in present day Germany) to America in 1863.
3. Wilhelm, his wife, Sophia, and son, Christopher, left Prussia from Hamburg, Germany on October 24, 1863.
4. Prussia was a Duchy (territory) headed by Duke Frederick Franz II
5. Wilhelm was born in Lutheran (pronounced Loot-er-awn) in 1835.
6. Lutheran, Germany Lutheran is located in the Mecklenburg-Schwerin region in present day Germany. It is 52kilometers southwest of the capital city, Schwerin (pronounced shvey-reen).
7. Church in Lutheran (not the one Wilhelm would have known because most of the town burned in 1926).
8. Baptismal fontfrom the original churchAssuming Wilhelm was baptized inLutheran, this font would have been used.
9. Sophia was born in Wessentin, a town not far from Lutheran, in 1844. Note the cobblestone streets
10. The primary industry in the area is agriculture, which of course would have been true in Wilhelm’s lifetime.
11. Nearby are the towns of Klein Jarchow and Langen Jarchow. Langen Jarchow is 32 kilometers northeast of Schwerin and 54 kilometers northwest of Lutheran. Klein Jarchow Langen JarchowSchwerin Lutheran
12. Langen Jarchow, GermanyLangen, in German, means “long”.
13. The road in Langen Jarchow leading to Klein Jarchow is named Klein Jarchower Strasse (note the German symbol commonly pronounced “ss” in the street sign). Klein Jarchow is 2 kilometers west of Langen Jarchow.
14. Klein Jarchow, GermanyKlein, in German, means “little”.
15. Before leaving Prussia and sailing to America, Wilhelm and Sophia spent some time in Barkow, Germany. Barkow is 60 kilometers southeast of Schwerin, and 12 kilometers east of Lutheran. Klein Jarchow Langen Jarchow Barkow Schwerin Lutheran
16. Barkow, Germany
17. Wilhelm, Sophia, and Christopher arrived in New York on the steamship Teutonia on November 21, 1863. They left Hamburg, Germany on October 24, 1863.
18. We hope you’veenjoyed followingin the footsteps of Wilhelm Jarchow