• He rose to fame in October 2012 when he was features on Disclosure’s
breakthrough single ‘Latch’ – this song managed to get on the UK Top 20.
• Soon after in May 2013, he featured on Naughty Boy’s “La La La” which peaked at
number one soon after its release.
• In 2013, he was nominated for the 2014 Brit Critic’s Choice Award as well as the
BBC’s Sound of 2014. He won both of these awards and soon after, in May 2014,
he released his own debut studio album called ‘In the Lonely Hour’ on Capitol
• Songs including ‘Stay with me’ and ‘Money on my Mind’ had international success
with ‘Stay with me’ being nominated for Record of the Year and Song of the Year.
When and how Sam Smith’s career begin?
Who creates his outfits and tour concepts?
How is this funded?
• Sam Smith is the one to decide what he wears and how he wears it. Brands like
Calvin Klein have asked Sam Smith to wear a whole range of custom Calvin Klein
Collection suits for his North American tour.
• His first concert tour which was in support of his debut album In the Lonely Hour
(2014) began 9th January 2015 and is expected to finish on the 12th December
2015. His label, Capitol Records and PMR Records, helps fund his tours. He also
gets money from his album which proved to be an international success as
• As previously stated, he not only gets money from his album and his
worldwide hits, he also receives money from companies like Calvin Klein who
pay him to wear their clothing lines. His labels also help fund his tours.
Research and describe Sam Smith’s fans
• Sam Smith’s fans are devoted to him.
• His fans are referred to as Little Sailors.
• He has quite a large LGBT fan base.
• Much like Sam Smith, his fans are generally quite emotional people and so they
relate to his music on an emotional level.
• They like to promote equality and tolerance as well as individualism; you should
be able to express yourself and be who you want to be without being told
• They see Sam Smith as a good role model because he is true to himself and is an
optimist therefore he sees the good in every situation which is why his fans adore
him so much.
• He allows his fans to feel confident and happy because he preaches that the best
way is to be yourself and so his fans are somewhat inspired to be themselves and
not a follower of the crowd.
• He has a wide range of fans: both male and female, young and old. He doesn’t
limit himself because the message he tries to give out, is universal and applies to
everyone which is again, why his fans love him.
Find 3 shocking or impressive outfits or accessories Sam
Smith has sported
What sorts of views does Sam Smith have about the
world? How do fans respond to this? Famous Quotes?
“This world ain’t exactly what my heart
“It was only until I started being myself
did the music start to flow and people
start to listen.”
“I sell records in countries where gay men get
killed, and that’s a big thing for me, because
maybe one person in that country will pick up
my album, realize it’s by a gay artist, and it
might change their opinion.”
“Well thanks to the guy who broke my heart. You’ve
got me 4 Grammy's tonight.”
• Sam Smith, like Lady Gaga,
believes and strives for
equality in society. He is all
for the LGBT community
and wants to make a mark
on the world. He wants to
make people realise that
you can be who you want
and that you don’t need to
• Although he doesn’t stress this, he does like to
emphasise how it is alright to be whoever you want
• He believes that you shouldn’t be fake and that you
should be true to yourself.
• The best way is to listen to what your heart wants as
only then will you be truly happy.
• He is open and he is confident and his fans love this
because it makes them feel confident and it gives
them the ability to be themselves and not feel bad
• (the fourth slide also has fan responses)