New business on 10th St - inaccessible, opened
last week Neighbor is accessible
Another new business - Washington Sq
They claim to be ‘wheelchair accessible’
coffee bar this
more on this
level, with no
provide access to
this level, but no
Elevator at 8th Street Station was out of service for 2 months
earlier this year; no information provided at elevator
Web page explaining what
to do if elevator out http://www3.
What this looks like on
What are we
doing about it?
“People always come up to me, and
say ‘What you’re talking about is
so inspirational and so great,’ and
I say ‘That’s awesome, thank you.
So what are you going to do about
Millions of people are
…from jobs, places,
We can empower people.
Level the playing field!
Early prototype was revealing...
Bad weekend for
accessibility - all of
NBC News reported...
Elevator cleaned and fixed next day :)
Things have improved! Status
today on latest version of
We now show length of
outage (and record history)
Businesses listed as ‘wheelchair
accessible’ on Yelp are mapped
Twitter is important to us for raising
awareness of issues; many people
and groups are watching and
Stations outage tracking
D3 Calendar heatmap
Proposed new feature once
we’ve built up history
● Trip planning
● Accessible maps for blind people
● Better crowdsourcing of information (Yelp not always
● Descriptions / videos / pictures of accessible
● Help and advice page for businesses
● Your ideas! (send us feedback)
● Build stuff with accessibility in mind!
● Go to hack4access coming up (end of May)
● Join Philly Accessibility Forum - monthly meetups
● Help on this project
● Visit Comcast’s Accessibilty Lab - Tom Wlodkowski is VP
● Raise awareness of accessibility with friends and co-workers.
● Get social! Tweet and leave reviews.