• America and its allies after World War II (Britain
and France) feared communism would continue
to spread throughout Eastern Europe and the
rest of the world.
• Meanwhile, the entire world feared the Cold War
would turn “hot” and lead to a nuclear war
between America and the Soviet Union.
….And a Realization of Fear…..
• The Soviets blockaded
Western Berlin to try
and kick “western”
(American and British)
influence out of the
• America, Britain, and
France responded by
airlifting supplies to
West Berlin and forcing
the Soviets to stop.
So America Responds…..
• The Berlin Blockade
proved to the United
States that they could
have problems from
the Soviet Union.
• So in 1949, America,
Canada, and ten
formed a military
alliance called NATO
(North Atlantic Treaty
dedicated to keeping
the world safe for
And the Soviets Counter…..
• The Soviet Union created a military alliance, the
Warsaw Pact (Warsaw is the capital of Poland),
composed of Eastern European countries they
took from Germany.
• These countries (Yugoslavia, Poland, Hungary,
etc.) were not allowed to have elections.
…..with Satellite States…..
• These nations became
nations that bordered
the USSR and whose
economies and politics
were controlled by the
• Containment was
based on trying to
keep other countries
• The Soviet Union tried to spread communism
into Latin America, Asia, and Africa.
• Countries that were having revolutions were
• The Soviets gave the revolutionaries money to
create communist countries like America was
doing to keep places from becoming
….through any means necessary….
• The Soviets also tried to spread communism by
sending representatives to discuss the benefits of
communism and allowed other countries to tour
the USSR and see its successes.