Amazon Web Services
James Armes, Cloud Software Engineer, Acquia
– The cloud is the Internet.
– Rather than a local or collocated
server, your servers are located
“somewhere” on the Internet.
– Pay for only the resources you use.
– Elastic capacity.
Who's Using AWS?
– Instance = Virtual Machine
– Supports multiple operating
– Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, etc.
– Launch new instances from an AMI.
– EBS for persistent storage.
– CloudWatch for monitoring.
– Auto Scaling Groups and ELBs.
– Object store.
– Organized in to buckets.
– Multiple levels of redundancy.
– Objects can be up to 5TB.
– Server-side encryption available.
– Object level permissions.
– Isolated network within AWS.
– Create multiple subnets.
– Define custom security groups and
– Peering allows communication with
– ClassicLink allows communication
with classic EC2 instances.
– New regions are VPC only.
– Automates administrative tasks of
cloud based relational databases.
– Several database engines:
– MySQL, Postgres, Maria, Oracle,
Microsoft SQL Server
– Amazon Aurora
– Create multiple users under the
– Create roles and groups to configure
– Require TFA for users.
– Security groups allow/deny access
– VPC insulates resources from the
– IAM permissions restrict access to
only necessary resources.
– IAM roles can provide permissions
– ISO 27001, PCI DSS, Fisma Low,
Sas 70 Type II
The cloud is the Internet.
Rather than a local or collocated server, your servers are located “somewhere” on the Internet.
You can specify a “region” for your servers.
The exact location of the hardware is unknown to you.
Pay for only the resources you use.
Prepay reservations available.
Scale your resources up and down based on usage requirements.
Highlight the following:
ECS (Docker in the cloud)
Identity & Access Management (IAM)
Elastic Compute Cloud:
&gt; 64,000 public images.
Create your own public/private images.
Auto Scaling Groups:
EC2 or ELB health checks.
Min/Max/Desired capacity settings.
Simple Storage Solution
Reduced Redundancy: 99.99%
Replicated one to one less location.
Max PUT size is 5GB.
Larger objects must use multpart upload.
Virtual Private Cloud
Internet gateway required to connect to the public Internet.
Relational Database Service
Identity and Access Management
Can also achieve HIPAA and Fedramp certifications.