Heartbeat: measuring installed base by analyzing downloads and Scientific Software Network Map
Heartbeat: measuring installed base
by analyzing downloads
Scientific Software Network Map
University of Texas at Austin
• Great desire to measure something similar to
sales and/or market share
• Early focus on downloads but …
– A download is not a sale
– No direct reward
– Might be experimentation
– Strongly correlated with number of releases
• How many regular users does a piece of
• High frequency data
• Some notification of new releases, or
• Some driver for frequent updates
• Focus on software work in science
– No convenient central repositories!
• Focusing on understanding what software is
used with what
– Complements, not dependencies
• Linking metrics from publications to runtimes,
Types of mentions in publications
Mention Type Example
Cite to Publication … was calculated using biosys (Swofford & Selander 1981).
Cite to Project Name or
… using the program Autodecay version 4.0.29 PPC
Reference List has: ERIKSSON, T. 1998. Autodecay, vers.
4.0.29 Stockholm: Department of Botany.
Like Instrument … calculated by t-test using the Prism 3.0 software
(GraphPad Software, San Diego, CA, USA).
URL in text … freely available from http://www.cibiv.at/software/pda/
In-text name mention
… were analyzed using MapQTL (4.0) software.
Not even name
… was carried out using software implemented in the Java
Types of Mentions
• Ideas for discovering complements
– Software used with other software
• Anyone interested in mining publications (or
perhaps blogs etc) for software mentions
– Gold standard dataset at: