Question 6. What have you learned about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
Question 6. What have you learned about
technologies from the process of
constructing this product?
The camera we used was a 1080p camera filming in high
definition, from this we were able to get good, high quality
film, even in bad weather conditions. Other equipment that
we used when filming included a tripod. We used a tripod
to stabilise the camera when filming in order for us to get
the best out of the camera. Some of the areas that we
filmed had uneven ground which made it hard for the
camera to stay stable. Although using the tripod in this
situation made it a bit better and easier to film, the ground
was still quite awkward with the tripod and continued to be
a problem when filming.
When filming, we had no problems with the camera,
however, we did have some problem with the tape and
when it came to capturing the film, we found that it was a
bit stop-start. This, we found out was because once we’d
shot a scene we played it back on the camera, therefore
causing a gap in the film. These gaps came out on the
capture and slowed down the process of capturing the
footage. So from that point on we didn't play back the
footage on the camera after filming a shot.
Ability to add text to the frame was a handy feature to have as it meant that
we could add titles and credits to the shots. From this, you would see the
text over the top of the scene, perfect for adding titles and credits
throughout the opening sequence.
When it came to editing our footage we used Final
Cut Pro, this was a very useful piece of technology
as it meant we could capture our film and from
that edit it and put it into a sequence in which we
went on to edit and fit together to make the final
sequence. Functions that this service provided us
The ability to add certain sets of footage in a
sequence, this meant that we could rearrange
shots that we had taken and put them in an
order to form the base of our thriller opening
Being able to add effects to the shots - this was a handy
feature as it meant that you could change the appearance of
some shots to make them seem more thriller-like. An effect
that we used on our clock shots was ‘colour correction’. This
allowed us to change the colour of certain images/shots to
make them look more thriller-like to the audience.
Adding sound to sequence - in Final Cut Pro you
are able to add a layer of sound that plays in time
with what you’ve already sequenced together. The
sound wasn't necessarily limited but you could
only edit the soundtrack from the source software
We did our soundtrack in Garageband and then once
we exported it and added to our Final Cut sequence,
we could then no longer edit the sound, instead we
would have had to go back to Garageband and re
edit the soundtrack and then re export it back into
Final Cut Pro.
As well as this, in Garageband I was able to adjust the
pitch of the sound that I had made. By adjusting the
pitch we were able to make the sound seem more
Using iMovie we were able to sync
our sound and video together so
that the sound played alongside
what was going on in the scene. As
well as this, we used iMovie to add
sound effects and backing loops to
build tension within the scene.
Below is the sound for our final
The sound effects that we used in
our final piece e.g. clock ticking.
came from a website called
sweetsoundeffects.com and this
allowed us to download the sound
file and from that import from
iTunes into iMovie or Garageband
and use it in our final piece.
When making the titles we used Final Cut Pro to edit the
text and adjust it so it could be seen as titles and credits.
However, our logo and production name was designed in
Adobe Photoshop using the design tools on there. From
this, we exported it and used it as the production logo at
the beginning of the thriller opening sequence. Within this
I don't think we encountered any problems or limitations,
other than making the logo an animation was difﬁcult as
we would need other software for that and possibly more
experience using it.
When creating the questionnaire/poll we used an
application on an iPad. From this we were able to
go round to people in the surrounding area and
ask them to fill out the poll and then submit it.
From this, we were able to go online and check
the polly daddy website for the results and see
what answers we had received from the people
who had done the poll. The results we received
from the poll on the iPad was easily transferrable
to the online version through a simple transfer
This synced with the account being used and
transferred the data across to the online account,
therefore allowing us to view the results online in
a more suitable way.
The use of an online service called Blogger has allowed
us to publish our work at constant and up to date pace.
This allowed other members of the group to view things
that other people had done and access feedback and
other things like soundtracks and videos.
By being able to embed certain things we were able to
post virtually anything onto the blog so that other people
could see what stage we were at with our coursework.
As well as this, we used Facebook to create a group that
represented our production group. From this we were
able to post our poll to get more results towards making
our final product.
Adding to this, we used Facebook to post our soundtrack
for people to listen to and give feedback on, the same
with the rough cut. We posted that so we could get
feedback and therefore improve on it towards our final