Introduction to BOT Framework- Global Azure Bootcamp 2017
Build and connect intelligent bots
Co-Founder, FutureStack Solution
▪ More than 12+ years of experience in technologies like .NET, Azure ,
Node.js and related technologies.
▪ Co-Founder of FutureStack
▪ Awarded Microsoft MVP 5 times. Currently MVP in Visual Studio and
▪ Active Member of Ahmedabad User Group.
▪ Frequently writes blog about Micorosft.NET Technologies and related
technologies at http://www.dotnetjalps.com.
▪ Also awarded as Dzone Most Valuable Blogger.
WHAT IS BOT IS NOT
▪ Natural Language Processing only
▪ Text Interface only
• Excel, PowerPoint
• Desktop UI
• Internet and Web
• Web Sites- Yahoo,
• Web Pages
• Mobiles Devices
• Apps – AngryBirds,
• Messaging App’s
WeChat and Hike)
• Apps, Personal
Assistants like Siri,
CONVERSATIONS ARE NEW PLATFORM
Source : BI Intelligence, Portio Research
WHAT IS BOT?
▪ A BOT is a software that is designed to
automate the tasks you would usually
do on your own. Like making a dinner
reservation to your favorite pizza shop,
finding a cool place to go with your
partner, adding an appointment to your
▪ Typically, bot performs/automate tasks
that can be done by human at much
higher rate than would be possible for
WHAT IS BOT FRAMEWORK?
▪ Bot Framework is a Microsoft-operated
service and an SDK. Conversation as Platform
▪ BOT Framework is one of many tools
Microsoft offers for building a complete BOT.
▪ Other Services includes, LUIS, Speech APIs,
Cognitive Services and Azure and More!
▪ A comprehensive platform of tools & services
that can help you build your bot, provide
your bot with smart capabilities and publish
it wherever your users talk.
BOT FRAMEWORK COMPONENTS
Microsoft BOT Framework
Bot Connector Bot DirectoryBot Builder SDKs
Connect your bot(s) to
text/sms, Office 365 mail,
Skype, Slack, and other
Build great dialogs within
your Node.js- or C#-based
Try, use, and add published
bots to the world’s top
• Register, connect, publish and
manage your bot through the
• Message routing
• Automatic translation to 30+
• User and state management
• Embeddable web chat control
• Debugging tools
• Open source SDK on Github
• From simple built-in prompts
and command dialogs to
simple to use yet
• Libraries, samples and tools
to make a great
• Chat emulator
• Leverage related services
available in Cognitive Services
• Public directory of bots
registered and approved with
• Users can try your bot from
the directory via the web
• Users can discover and add
your bot to the channels on
which it is configured
Your conversation logic
BOT FRAMEWORK COMPONENTS
LANGUAGE UNDERSTADING INTELLIGENT SERVICE
▪ Part of Microsoft Cognitive services.
▪ Right now in beta and available as free.
▪ Implements Machine Learning so interaction with other
services are really good.
▪ Deploy Just within 5 minutes with just a few example.
▪ Supports five languages(English, Chinese, Italian, French,
▪ Very easy to train. Can Deploy your models as end points(Rest
▪ SDK Available for C#, Node.js, Android and Python
LUIS INTENTS, ENTTIES, UTTERANCES
▪ Intent: Intent means what we desire or what our intent is.
▪ Our Intent for this demo is to find weather information so
weather is intent
▪ Entity: A entity is a keyword or entity which we are going to
query to LUIS
▪ Here we are going to find weather of city so city is our entity.
▪ Utterances: It is used to train Luis to understand how human
query or talk with each other.
▪ Utterances sample: is it a good weather in newyork