“Produsage within games and its potential future
impact on identity and perceptions of reality”
By Jake Sinar
Structure of the Presentation
• Research Methods
• Existing Sites and Games
• World of Warcraft
• Social Networking
• The Sims
• Development of 3D gaming and ﬁlms
• The Holodeck
• Project Natal
• EPOC Headset
• Adams, E (2009) Fundamentals of Game Design. 2nd Edn. Berkeley: Peachpit Press.- Reading Design Rules
• Video Game Genres – Wikipedia ( last modiﬁed on 10 April 2010 at 21:28.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Video_game_genres Accessed April 2010
• Identity Reading:- Krzywinska
Krzywinska, T (2008) 'Being a Determined Agent in (the) World of Warcraft: Text/Play/Identity', in Atkins, B
& Krzywinska, T (eds.) Videogame, Player, Text. Manchester: MUP.
• Identity Reading:- Yee - Identity Projection in MMORPGs
Yee, N. (2004) Identity Projection. Available at: http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/print/
000431.php (Accessed: <insert date here> )
• Identity Reading:- Yee - Personality Differences in MMORPGs
Yee, N. (2004) Through the Looking-Glass. Available at: http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/
print/000755.php (Accessed: <insert date here> )
Further Research Methods
• Emory Rowland, (November 22nd, 2007) www.clickﬁre.com › Gaming - Accessed May 2010
• Admin at Future Technology - http://www.futurich.com/future-gaming-technology-project-natal -
Accessed May 2010
• By Mike Steere - For CNN - http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/09/08/Futureofgaming/
• Herring, S (2008) 'Questioning the Generational Divide: Technological Exoticism and Adult
Constructions of Online Youth Identity', in Atkins, B & Krzywinska, T (eds.) Videogame, Player, Text.
• For my presentation I will be looking into players having complete control of their game.
• They will be able to create their own rules
• They will be able to design their character, in a way they would like others to see them
• Customize their own environment
• Meet new people and socialise
• Overall they will be able to live in their own ‘dream’/ ‘prefect’ world, and be seen how they would like to
• Will the player see this ﬁctional life ‘better’ than reality, and confuse reality with their digital world?
• Could this be the future? Technology and online networking / gaming be our social life?
• My presentation will look into the development of these technologies and how this may affect our lives
in the future. It may be that in the future we rely soley on the internet and internet communication.
Existing Sites & Games
• Most of the current and new games around have now got a social networking feature- where they can talk to
anyone in the world
• In some games they allow the player to create their own character the way they want themselves to look
• Some games also allow the player to create their own environment
• there are now also networking websites, which allow you to upload photographs, chat with people all over the
• These have all been developed after the huge success of the popular computer game - the Sims
• But what will happen when a game is developed where you can have all these features in one game?
• a massive multiplayer
online role-playing game
by Blizzard Entertainment
• The Sims is a strategic life-simulation
computer game developed by Maxis and
published by Electronic Arts.
• Human sensory experience is limited to the 5 senses. It’s just a matter of time
before game developers are able to capitalize on each of them. Not only will we feel
your pain, but see, hear, taste and smell it
• Also 3d is becoming very popular in the ﬁlm industry and cinemas, most animated
ﬁlms are now being released in 3D. Gaming is now approaching this idea with
Batman Arkham Asylum just being re-released in 3D.
• A holodeck is a simulated reality facility located on starships and starbases in the ﬁctional Star Trek
universe. An episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series, "The Practical Joker", formed the groundwork
for the idea in the 1970s by portraying a recreation room capable of holographic simulations
• The holodeck is depicted as an enclosed room in which objects and people are simulated by a
combination of replicated matter, tractor beams, and shaped force ﬁelds onto which holographic
images are projected. Sounds and smells are simulated by speakers and fragranced ﬂuid atomizers,
respectively. The feel of a large environment is simulated by suspending the participants on force ﬁelds
which move with their feet, keeping them from reaching the walls of the room (a virtual treadmill).
• Microsoft has recently announced an impressive addition to their popular X-Box video game system
which will replace the standard controllers.
• Project Natal, is the future gaming technology we have been waiting for and has built in motion sensors
that allows users to act out their moves instead of having to press buttons; if you are playing a ﬁghting
game you will actually have to do some physical kicks and punches in order to defeat your opponent.
• Project Natal is like a Nintendo Wii 2.0 – instead of having to swing around your controller you can just
use your body, This new technology is also supposed to be equipped with voice and facial recognition
• Soon you could be required only to 'think' to operate a video game. Maybe you'll even have the chance
to be completely immersed in a video game 'world'.
• The Emotiv EPOC headset - the ﬁrst Brain Computer Interface (BCI) device for the gaming market is the
technology behind the revolution -- and the company claims to have already mastered thought control.
• The EPOC detects and processes real time brain activity patterns (small voltage changes in the brain
caused by the ﬁring of neurons) using a device that measures electric activity in the brain.
• In total, it picks up over 30 different expressions, emotions and actions.
• I think this type of gaming will be our future.
• What if a game is developed, where this is used
• A social networking game, like the sims or world of warcraft;
• The player can create their avatar how they would like to be seen by others
• To move their avatar the player will themselves need to walk (on the treadmill like platform)
• Surrounding speakers will give out smells
• A microphone headset will allow players to actively talk to others and meet new people
• They will be able to interact with other players - even shake hands
• The player will be able to act and be seen how they aspire to be, and meet new people they wouldnt have the
conﬁdence to in real life.
• This could be the new phenomenon, why would we need to go out in reality? Everything could be done in our
living room, meeting new people for drinks, living in a perfect house and looking perfect.
• This is where reality can be confused. You may meet someone, who is not who they say they are. so are you really
• Everything is now done online, even shopping so what is stopping you going online and shopping in this virtual
world? walking through the store and picking things up yourselves, paying for them and then they are delivered?
• This is our future. Internet communication may be a lot more dominant in our lives to come. if internet shopping
keeps increasing and social networking carries on the way it is, the social lives of many people will change.