In The Gulf
Jafar Al-Said, MB. CHB. MD. FASN. FACP.
Chair of Internal Medicine.
Nephrology and Internal Medicine Consultant.
Bahrain Specialist Hospital.
• Prevalence of HTN in the Gulf region.
• Global Prevalence of HTN.
• Expected Population Growth for the coming decades.
• Health impact of other CV risk factors.
• Impact of HTN by WHO for the coming decades.
DM Population in the Gulf Region 2000-2030
4,630,000 13,772, 000
104,000 113,000 38,000
Iraq Kuwait Oman Qatar Saudi
Global DM Prevalence
CONCUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
• HTN effect about 25% of the Gulf Population.
• It is effecting 40% of the population around the world.
• HTN out weight all the other cardiovascular risk factors.
• Major efforts should be spent in awareness, prevention and eventually
• This was the main aim behind organizing this conference. 40
WHO Library Cataloguing-in-Publication Data Global status report on noncommunicable diseases
2010. 1.Chronic disease - prevention and control. 2.Chronic disease - epidemiology. 3.Chronic disease
- mortality. 4.Cost of illness. 5.Delivery of health care.. I.World Health Organization. ISBN 978 92 4
156422 9 (NLM classification: WT 500). ISBN 978 92 4 068645 8 (PDF).
Joffres M, Falaschetti E, Gillespie C, et al. Hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment and
control in national surveys from England, the USA and Canada, and correlation with stroke and
ischemic heart disease mortality: a cross-sectional study BMJ Open 2013;3:e003423.
A global brief on Hypertension. Document number : WHO/DCO/WHD/2013.2. Any queries regarding
this document should be addressed to : firstname.lastname@example.org.
World Health Organization - Noncommunicable Diseases (NCD) Country Profiles, 2014.