It is the premier social security
organization in the country.
It is the highest policy making and
decision making authority under the
ESI Act and oversees the functioning
of the scheme under the act.
• The corporation comprises of members
representing central and state
governments, employees, employers, parlia
ment and other medical profession.
• Union Minister of labor functions as the
chairman of the corporation.
The ESI Act applies to:
• Factories employing ten (10) or more persons.
• Factories and establishments employing twenty
(20) or more persons.
• Employees of the factories and establishments in
the receipt not exceeding Rs.10,000/- per month
are covered in this act.
• Railway running sheds
• Govt. factories and establishments and
naval, military, air force
• Seasonal factories
• The scheme is primarily funded by
contribution raised from the insured
employees and their employers.
• Employees contribution: 1.75% of the
• Employers contribution: 4.75% of the
The employer should get his factory or
establishments registered with ESI
corporation within 15 days after the act
becoming applicable to it, and obtain the
employer’s code number.