October 8, 2013
Understanding product, market innovation and growth
• “Highs & Lows” of the week
• Thoughts on Boundless ﬁeld trip
• Cold email an entrepreneur recap
THE PRODUCT LIFECYCLE
A type of business analysis that attempts to map the lifespan of a
given product across various stages of sales or interest
THE INNOVATOR’S DILEMMA
An observed business phenomenon in which market leaders fail to
keep pace with new technology; failing as a result of disruptive
innovations from new challengers.
Technological innovations that signiﬁcantly “disrupt” the widespread
use of previous, “sustained innovations” by radically expanding a
product’s value or by creating an entirely new market for the product.
Where does this all come from?
The Innovator’s Dilemma
Crossing the Chasm
Where is Facebook on the Product Lifecycle?
Team #1 Team #2
How can you avoid the Innovator’s Dilemma?
Companies are trying everywhere and everyday.
For next week...
• Meet an entrepreneur from cold emails
• Complete selected readings delivered via email
• Write 1 pg. double-spaced reﬂection on cold emails/product
• Next class (Oct. 22nd): Field trip to One Mighty Roar (via Joey/T)