WHAT IS TRADE UNION?
Organized group of workers; protect &
advance the interest of its member.
WHY WE CREATE TRADE
1) Economic motive
◦ To improve worker’s economic.
2) Protection of rights
◦ To ensure worker’s rights are protected.
3) Social reason
◦ Medium to voice out employee
REASON FOR JOINING A
1) Increased wages & benefits
2) Job security
3) Protection against unfair treatment
4) Cooperation with fellow workers
5) Peer pressure
WHO CAN JOIN A UNION?
1) Any worker over 16 year
2) Employees under contract of
3) Public sector employees
4) Private sector employees
WHO CAN’T JOIN A UNION?
1) Students (universities or college
2) Professional & managerial group
3) Person who under 16 years old
4) Part time workers
5) Not same category of membership
TYPES OF UNIONS
1) PUBLIC SECTOR EMPLOYEES’
2) PRIVATE SECTOR EMPLOYEES’
3) EMPLOYERS’ UNIONS
PUBLIC SECTOR EMPLOYEES’
The public sector consists of the civil
service, the statutory bodies and the
• Congress of Unions of Employees in the
Public and Civil Service (CUEPACS)
Private sector unions are either
national or in-house.
• Malaysian Trades Union Congress
To secure the organization of all
◦ Malaysian Employers Federation (MEF)