A public meeting
Listening: arriving for a meeting
Look at a plan of the
Since the estate was built,
Wood Lane has become a
very busy road.
Why do you think it is a
problem for the estate?
Sita Gupta has been invited to a meeting of ECG. Before
the meeting, she meets Winston Okri, chair of ECG.
Listen to their conversation and answer the questions
a What is the purpose of the meeting?
b Why have they invited Sita?
• Must have= 99%
• He must have practiced hard because he got 1st place in the game.
• The children were home alone. The parents must have been worried.
• She was smiling all morning. Yesterday’s date must have been fantastic.
• Might have
• The college was closed all day but it was noisy. There might have been
some renovations done.
• Anita left the hairdresser’s in a hurry. She might have been in a rush
because of another appointment.
• Can’t have
• My neighbours have been using my swimming pool all summer without
cleaning it. They can’t have expected me to clean it.
• My uncle asked for money again. I gave him 1000 pounds and he left the country.
I shouldn’t have given him anything.
• The teacher saw me looking at my phone during the exam. I failed. I shouldn’t
have used the phone.
• My friend cried all day after her breakup but I left her alone. I should have stayed
• My neighbour cheated on her husband with the mailman. Now the husband
hates me because I didn’t tell him. I should have told him.