Generation of DC by using VAWT
(Vertical Axis Wind Turbine)
•prepared by :
-Viral S Desai
-Jaimin R Shah
-Parth S Patel
-Darshil G Patel
-Internal Guide : Mr. Kaushtubh Vyas
-External Guide : Mr. Pavan Patel
-Company : Ohm Groups
•Guided by :
• Wind power turbines come in handy in the market
today. Vertical-axis wind turbine happens to be
one of the most popular and widely coveted wind
• It is also more practical, reliable and cost effective
has the best longevity and durability features.
Therefore, you will be able to use it efficiently over
a long haul.
• The turbine is also designed in a unique way that
enables it to work efficiently in an urban and
• To generate the electricity with the help of VAWT
(Vertical axis wind turbine).The VAWT is use for
generate the 10watt D.C. power & LED is turn on.
• A VAWT does not need to be oriented into the wind
a the power transition mechanisms can be mounted
at ground level for easy access.
• For generating the power it is depend on the velocity
of the wind But we assured that VAWT is generate
the fixed D.C. output which is depend on the
velocity of the wind.
• The kinetic energy of the wind can be changed
into other forms of energy, either mechanical
energy or electrical energy.
• The kinetic energy contained in wind can be
transferred to other objects, such as boat sails, or
transformed into electrical energy through wind
• With the recent surge in fossil fuels prices, demands
for cleaner energy sources, and government
funding incentives, wind turbines are becoming a
more viable technology for electrical power
How Wind Turbines Work?
• All wind turbines essentially work the same way with
minor modifications depending on size and
• The wind turns the blades to spin a shaft which
connects to a generator which produces
• Essentially the rotors harness the kinetic energy of
the wind and coverts it into electrical energy.
Types of Axis
- Higher wind speeds
- medium efficiency
- has to be moved into the
direction of the wind
- very high power
- Efficiency – 18% to 20%
• Horizontal Turbine :
Types of Axis
- Can place generator on ground
- Wind direction doesn't matter,
it adjusts to it its self.
- medium power
- Efficiency – 50% to 60%
• Vertical Turbine :
why we chose a vertical axis turbine
instead of a horizontal axis?
• Works at a lower wind speeds.
• Wind direction doesn't matter.
• Different than our classmates.
Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
• We make a “Giro Mill” type VAWT.
• The turbine starts rotating at 4m/s speed.
• VAWTs are rugged, quiet, Omni-directional.
• VAWT doesn't create as much stress on the
• It can be installed on chimneys and similar
• Popularizing the wind energy for domestic
• The generator is mounted on
a short tower.
• The blades point upward.
PERMANENT MAGNET BRUSHLESS GENERATOR
generator is same as that of
shunt motor with the
difference that thereis
permanent magnet instead of
stationary field winding for
producing the required
Since this is Brushless and
Commutator is absent it
The Life of this type of motor is
longer compared to others.
Project Components :
Blade design is made of
aluminum and epoxy
Above material are used
for our blades.
Aero Dynamic blade
made of carbon fiber is
light weight. Has a razor
sharp edge which cut
through the wind and
makes it virtually silent.
Project Components :
Measurement of Wind Speed Velocity
• In prior stage of the wind
turbine project has basic
requirement is to
measure the wind speed
and the velocity.
• Testo is the German
equipment to measure
the wind and all other
parameters is use for any
of our wind project for
assurance of wind
• Accepts wind from any angle.
• Better answer to rapidly changing winds.
• Components can be mounted at ground level
- Ease of service
- Lighter weight towers
• Virtually silent operation.
• High Mechanical stability.
• Rotors are generally near ground where wind is
• Poor self-starting capabilities
• Requires support at top of turbine rotor sturdy
• Requires support at top of turbine rotor
• Overall poor performance and reliability (although it
is argued that it is mainly due to lack of research and
development and not aerodynamics)
• we done our literature survey and market survey on VAWT.
And it has try to mentioned
advantages, applications, limitations.
• And also it is understood that in the future most of our
energy source will based on wind energy.
• We justify that how to VAWT works and produces electricity
through block diagram.
• Also, we understood how to design blade and
measurement of wind speed with use of anemometer.
• It had made a prototype model with using a acrylic
material and try to mentioned a it looks like a original
• In past days VAWT had to be start by giving
• Our project aspect is to make self starting wind
• And second one is to reduce the power fluctuation
due to the uneven wind. so, that we get constant
• For that, We will put a gear-box between turbine &
1. Non-Conventional energy sources by smt. C.K.Rai
2. Wikipedia Encyclopedia. Retrieved from
Rotor.png.jpg on November 28, 2005.
3. Read some Papers on VAWT through Wikipedia
5. We have to use catalogue of ohms groups.
LAST TO SAY